Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Should I Pursue Need-Based Aid if FAFSA is High?

13»

Replies to: Should I Pursue Need-Based Aid if FAFSA is High?

• liveluvsushiliveluvsushi Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    @AroundHere Good point; UConn is a great school and the college tour was very appealing to me; they only have Regular Decision and a financial aid date of December 1.. should I submit earlier?
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    If they aren't rolling admissions, it may not give you any particular advantages, but I make my kids build their applications from the bottom up and get their safety and match schools done early in the process.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 1,888 Senior Member
    @liveluvsushi UConn IS a great school, post #31. If you can do for little money, it's a no brainer to do so and save money for dental school. You don't have to go 100 miles away to feel independent. You could always do a study abroad semester of year for an experience.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,634 Senior Member
    The sooner you apply the higher the chances that you will find out sooner that you have at least one affordable choice!
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,118 Senior Member
    I'm a CT resident. Sounds like your parents are state employees...maybe doctors at UConn? Or something like that.

You would get free tuition at UConn...and that $100,000 ($25,000 a year) could easily cover your remaining costs.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,498 Senior Member
    edited October 13
    @mommdc UMich only meet needs for all instate students, but only OOS with less than $90k family income. OP's need would not be met even it is relatively small.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,634 Senior Member
    @billcsho thanks for the clarification, I thought they changed it. But I also said even if they met need it would not help to bring the cost down to be affordable because EFC would be too high and need too small. And she can't count on merit with U mich.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,498 Senior Member
    Yeah. Meeting the needs of OOS if under 90k family income is new this year at UMich. However, they did improve the FA to OOS students in the last couple years even without need met.
  • rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,266 Senior Member
    I don't get the "not worth applying because it's not within our budget" when it's unclear what that budget is.

Frankly, if the EFC is quite high, the OP probably can afford to apply to a few Ivies and at least see what he would get. You never know.

This is a different situation from someone with a 20K EFC whose family can't pay that. Paying the application fees and then comparing FA packages for private and public schools would be a good idea IMHO.
13»