Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

what schools offer automatic merit full rides? not tuition? i was late to game for first kid...want

TnTWalterTnTWalter Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
to be better this time around. What colleges can she apply to that offer automatic merit or even applied for full rides ? Thanks.

Replies to: what schools offer automatic merit full rides? not tuition? i was late to game for first kid...want

• blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 7,970 Senior Member
    Full ride meaning every last thing is covered?

West Point, Naval Academy, et al.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,391 Senior Member
    @TnTWalter what are your kid's stats? Is she NMSF?
  • TnTWalterTnTWalter Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    edited October 10
    no i didn't mean military. there is a thread about 2017 full rides. didn't see it before posting this. When my first daughter went through the process...i asked about scholarships well past application deadlines and everyone was like 'wish you had asked before the deadlines she could have gone to school free....' etc.
    not national merit. hasn't taken act or sat yet. junior. 4.15 gpa varsity cheer wants to study education. she's not top 10% but is close.her sister was top 10% 4.35 and 33 ACT so stronger academically. Hoping this one will do well on ACT/Sat to boost the rest. I just wanted to know as last time it was too late to worry about. The only one I remember was U Alabama. And also there were some ivy leagues she could have potenially gotten good scholarships but we didn't think we could afford...
    She's taking PSAT Oct 25. SAT Dec 2 and ACT in Feb. I'm having her do practice tests to prepare. Any other tips?
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,391 Senior Member
    @TnTWalter without her actual scores you can only guess.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,813 Senior Member
    Ivies don't offer merit scholarships, but generally give good need based aid.
  • CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Registered User Posts: 1,378 Senior Member
    Even Alabama doesn't offer a full ride any more. The best scholarships are full tuition, plus room & board the first year, and a stipend each year, but not enough to cover all of room & board
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,227 Senior Member
    There's a decent list of merit schools at College Transitions. Click on Dataverse, then Merit Aid by Institution.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,173 Senior Member
    Some of the scholarships in the sticky thread at the top of this section are full rides.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,116 Senior Member
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2006094-2017-automatic-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarships.html#latest

You already found that thread. In terms of locations...you need to read the posts...and figure out if any are geographically suitable for your daughter and family.

This one has full tuition...not guaranteed...but possible.
    https://www.oakland.edu/financialservices/available-financial-assistance/undergrad/#tab-2

You need to also look at the public universities in your state. Probably most, if not all, have education programs. See if there are any scholarships there. Look at your net costs at these instate schools...which might just be less than your net costs OOS.

Use the net price calculators.

Your daughter is a HS junior. She could,very well,change her mind about majoring in education. But if she doesn't...it's easiest to get certified in the state from which you graduate from college.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,083 Senior Member
    edited October 10
    I can only think of FAMU and Prairie View A&M with automatic full rides.
    Full rides were rare before but they've been cut at many universities, even for NMFs, and even more so for non NMFs.
    BTW, I don't think a student with a 33 could have gone to college for free, but could certainly get good scholarships.
    If you need a full tuition/full ride because you're lower income, look at "meet need" colleges.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,634 Senior Member
    https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships/teach

If she wants teaching, then she should look into instate schools where she could get some merit.

And depending on subject she might be able to get a $4,000 teach grant.

So if she has $5,500 student loan, $15,000 a year from the college fund, $4,000 teach grant, and summer work earnings, with merit that should cover instate publics I would think.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,634 Senior Member
    https://www.in.gov/che/4498.htm

^some Indiana state programs
  • Sportsman88Sportsman88 Registered User Posts: 1,480 Senior Member
    SMU has two competitive scholarships that were full ride for Class of 2021. Have to check every year on details. Highly competitive - ivy caliber stats and ECs to be competitive. As stated, there aren't many automatic full rides and the ones that are require NMF.