Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Financial Aid for Dorms

sweetasmsweetasm Posts: 3Registered User New Member
Okay so I graduate from a two year college this year, YAY! So, now it is time for me to move on to a four year college, Sam Houston State University. I found a dorm that I love which cost $1,820 per semester, $455 per month. I also found an apartment that is $450 per month that I love, all bills paid and furnished. What I need to know is if financial aid will pay for the apartment? And about how much financial aid is usually given for dorms? All your help is Greatly Appreciated!
:)
Post edited by sweetasm on

Replies to: Financial Aid for Dorms

• sblake7sblake7 Posts: 1,691Registered User Senior Member
    Short answer: maybe-- depends on your need and the colleges aid practices. But they'll be as likely to cover part of your off campus housing as they would your on-campus housing.

Financial aid packages attempt to fill the difference between the total cost of college (tuition, fees, books, room and board), and the EFC (Expected Family Contribution). Each school has an estimate of how much it will cost to attend while living in a dorm, and another estimate of how much it will cost while living in off campus housing. And another estimate of how much it will cost while commuting from home.

So the financial aid package will change a bit depending on whether you live in the dorms or in the outside apartment. To see whether it will increase or decrease, you'll need to find out from the college what their estimated cost of attendance is for both of these two scenarios.

So, Yes-- housing is included in the financial aid package. How much depends on your need.
  • sweetasmsweetasm Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Thanks, would you or any one happen to know how many years you can recieve financial aid. I have been going to a two year college for 4 years and have 63 hours, does it matter how long it takes you to get your BA Degree.