Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

scholarships for valedictorians

2»

Replies to: scholarships for valedictorians

• momraymomray Posts: 880Registered User Member
    Daughter is valedictorian. She took the most rigorous course load offered by her school and has a perfect transcript. The way the systems weights classes, keeps those from the A average in art from the top positions. There are many public schools in VA that offer something for Val. and even Sal. She was offered a full scholarship at a school in NC just for being Valedictorian. So, to answer the original poster's question....yes, there are scholarships. However, the schools may not be the most desirable.
  • bballpg04bballpg04 Posts: 256Registered User Junior Member
    Wow thanks for the info guys. Ok I'm glad that you can get at least some money for being valedictorian. when you apply to schools do they see that your class rank is #1 and assume that you'll be that at the end of your senior year, or do they wait until after your senior year to see if you've gotten the valedictorian award? also does being valedictorian in a larger class (mine is 530 students) given more weight than being valedictorian in say a class of only 100?
  • ttaillonttaillon Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    Same here momray...we have weighted classes so those taking the blow off classes go down in gpa and the ones taking upper level classes/dual credit have an increase in gpa.

bballpg04....I don't know about everyone else, but our school determines val and sal at the end of 7th semester so essentially you could mess up big time in 8th semester but still be Val. But I think all schools want a copy of your transcript at the end of the year. As for being from a bigger class, I think it depends on the school but personally, it is probably more difficult to attain in a larger school because there is more competition and there are many more choices of weighted classes. Just my opinion.
  • momraymomray Posts: 880Registered User Member
    yep.....7th semester, the person is named. However, most kids talked of their GPA and daughter knew she was #1 entering Sr. year. Her GC told her it was OK to list val. on her college apps

bball....look into North Carolina Wesleyan and their program.
  • ttaillonttaillon Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    My son has been in the top spot all through high school but tied with another girl until second quarter of this year. He took a weighted trig class so she had to take it to compete for val even though she didn't really want to take the class. She ended up with an A- and he had an A...dropped her to Sal and he got the top spot by himself. He didn't purposely take the class to try to mess her up though...he really needed the higher math for his major. Anyway, I digress...lol
2»