Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

help! I missed the fafsa deadline

whitzwhitz Posts: 14Registered User New Member
I don't know what to do! I missed the 7/1 deadline for the 07-08 fafsa application. Can someone please help me? I applied late to schools and just got accepted to the school I wanted to go to this week. I wasn't expecting to get any scholarships but I honestly didn't know that I had to file a fafsa to get student loans too. Has anyone gone through this? Is it even possible to get a loan/aid without filing a fafsa or turning it in late? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.
Post edited by whitz on

Replies to: help! I missed the fafsa deadline

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,988Registered User Senior Member
    Was that 7-1 deadline the college deadline? The 2007-08 FAFSA is available for filing until next year (end of 2007-08school year). If this was a school deadline, call the finaid office. I would file the thing today.
  • ReecyReecy Posts: 121Registered User Junior Member
    Call the financial aid office to beg and grovel! If that doesn't work, there are plenty of outside sources for loans. I suggest filing the FAFSA on Jan 1 or 2 next year.
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Posts: 3,579Registered User Senior Member
    also -- if you are filing in order to get a pell grant or stafford loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) there should be no deadline for those. They are federal financial aid and are always available.
  • whitzwhitz Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    ok, sorry I guess I just panicked it was the 2006-2007. But, I'm hoping there's still time to get a loan before the fall. Does anyone have experience with applying for loans late in the year? Do I have a chance of still being able to attend school in the fall?
  • SpartaSparta Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    ^ bump, i'd like to know as well
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Posts: 3,579Registered User Senior Member
    for the most part, federal financial aid (pell grants and stafford loans) are available at anytime -- there is no cut off date. unless you are attending a very inexpensive school and living at home, that won't pay for college -- but the funds are available. community colleges in particular admit students and process financial aid up to two weeks after the start of classes (including spring semester).

just fill out the FAFSA and submit it.