Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Highest Paying Summer Jobs?

dancebabe9008dancebabe9008 Posts: 451Registered User Member
What are some of the highest paying summer jobs that you know of? How much do you think I would make if I worked from late May to the end of August.
Post edited by dancebabe9008 on

Replies to: Highest Paying Summer Jobs?

• MomOf3StarsMomOf3Stars Posts: 778Registered User Member
    My D applied for an internship w/ the federal government. It pays almost as much as I make (believe me not much) but a lot for a student. My friend's son did the same job last year and we were all shocked at how much he made. I think there is a website, do a search on student government jobs.
  • blindkiteblindkite Posts: 302Registered User Member
    Get a job as a waitress at an expensive restaurant. You could make over $100 a night.
  • dancebabe9008dancebabe9008 Posts: 451Registered User Member
    Great. I'll look into those! Any others?
  • MomOf3StarsMomOf3Stars Posts: 778Registered User Member
    IDK what your feelings on this are but Nanny/babysitting for the summer is very profitable and usually can be under the table.

From your screenname I take it you dance? Do you have an affiliation w/ a studio? You could teach or run a summer dance camp. Rent studio space and charge a fee, you can even get some of your dance friends involved. You can charge a weekly fee and have different themes, like Disney or Barbie.
  • walt99walt99 Posts: 701Registered User Member
    A great part-time/summer job is through the post office. My mom's a supervisor of a branch and is trying to get me to apply for the summer. Starting pay is $15/hour.
  • DancingFeet17DancingFeet17 Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    I second waitressing. If you're willing to work HARD for your money, it's ridiculous how much you can earn in a few hours!
  • csleslie51csleslie51 Posts: 1,172Registered User Senior Member
    S worked for the National Park service. Made over $10K his first summer and $8K+ his second (he upgraded from a tent to a cabin and had to pay "rent") but he had additional skills that made him a more valuable employee. Still, the setting was gorgeous and he was with a lot of like minded employees.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 31,155Registered User Senior Member
    Waitressing is very hard- and IMO you need to have experience.
    My kids have worked as camp counselors, it doesn't pay alot, but room and board is covered and you can get a great summer experience.
    However- if it is dollars that you are most concerned with- web design pays well & you can sit down. ;)

Also tutoring- either for tests or for classes- you could charge $20+ an hour
  • blondie625blondie625 Posts: 547Registered User Member
    If you're a talented/persuasive speaker and need a significant amount of money, try telemarketing. Even if you're not that good of a speaker, you can still make a decent sum of money. My brother did it last year over the summer and netted 5000+ within like 2 months.
  • dancebabe9008dancebabe9008 Posts: 451Registered User Member
    bump
    10char
  • AY8888AY8888 Posts: 592User Awaiting Email Confirmation Member
    Investment banking pays the BEST! Family friend went through 8 weeks internship and got paid 21K Base+6K bonus. Cannot beat that I think. But the hours are LONG!
  • chronicfuture12chronicfuture12 Posts: 1,538- Member
    I worked as a Waiter last summer, and, while the pay is good, it takes a lot of work, and be quite annoying.

I will be working as a camp counselor this summer.
  • fightingdreamerfightingdreamer Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    Very helpful thread here. I'm trying to start making money to save for a gap year. walt99, what does working for the postal service entail?
  • sognatricesognatrice Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    I hear, if you're willing to travel, that you can make a tidy sum working on an Alaskan fishing boat.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 32,631Registered User Senior Member
    Lifeguarding. Pay is good and there's a shortage in many areas. You can pick up extra money teaching private swimming lessons.