Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

scholarship vs grant - what's the diff?

idic5idic5 Posts: 693Registered User Member
edited January 2011 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
I am unclear on what the difference is between a scholarship and a grant. Anyone can clarify?
Post edited by idic5 on

Replies to: scholarship vs grant - what's the diff?

• HammanHamman Posts: 355Registered User Member
    I would say that there is no difference. I generally associate a grant with being need-based but then there are also school scholarships given to needy students. They are both free money and you don't have to pay them back
  • balancedheliumbalancedhelium Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    If you just look at the dictionary definitions of the word, the two are basically interchangeable.

grant
    1. any monetary aid

schol·ar·ship
    2. a sum of money or other aid granted to a student, because of merit, need, etc., to pursue his or her studies.
    4. a foundation to provide financial assistance to students.

However, there is a different connotation to the word. Scholarship usually implies something based on merit or something that is earned or won. Grant implies something based on need.

Furthermore, to complicate things further, a research project can receive a grant which might be based on both merit and need.

But both are a source of money that does not need to be repaid.

In other words, pure awesome sauce. :D
  • idic5idic5 Posts: 693Registered User Member
    I am gathering from more looking that, at least some of the schools, a grant is based on need as the poster above said, and as such can fluctuate based on financial neediness each yr. A scholarship, on the other hand, can be relied upon each yr.
  • SkyGirlSkyGirl Posts: 936Registered User Member
    Scholarship is better especially if they have the words "merit"/ "academic" in front! Yes idic5, scholarships can be relied upon provided you maintain a certain GPA and the required credit hours. Can't slack in college if your riding on merit scholarships.
  • sarairene1995sarairene1995 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    i am interested in becoming a veterinarian does anyone know what would be the best for me to major in?