Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does it matter how you fill out the FAFSA, STUDENT VS PARENT?

intelMan34intelMan34 Posts: 25Registered User New Member
I began my FAFSA and it asks if you are a Student or Parent? Does it matter? Should I fill it out or have my parents do it? I already did the CSS.
Post edited by intelMan34 on

Replies to: Does it matter how you fill out the FAFSA, STUDENT VS PARENT?

• mintjinglemintjingle Posts: 43Registered User Junior Member
    I think you are supposed to fill it out from the perspective of the student, but obviously you will need to ask your parents about their finances / see some of their tax forms in order to fill it out.
  • SimpleLifeSimpleLife Posts: 2,226Registered User Senior Member
    It definitely matters which questions you answer with student data and which questions you answer with parent data. Just read the instructions carefully before you begin. If you are looking at the online FAFSA in color, you will see one color (purple?) for parent's data and another color for student's data. It does not matter who fills it out, of course, just that the correct data is entered for the appropriate party -- parent or student -- in the appropriate section.