Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does fafsa pull out the driving record?

erjoalgoerjoalgo Posts: 8Registered User New Member
I recently crashed, was charged for running the stop sing (not exactly what happened, but was advice to not contest it and just pay the fine).
For this, I feel unsure about including my driver license ID on fafsa, fearing that they will request my driving record and reduce my eligibility for fin aid, or worse, notify my colleges about my unclean record.
Does anyone know about this? Should I not include my driver license?

I am also skeptical about not including this information. I hear that its optional, then I hear its not. I called fafsa and they themselves couldn't tell me. If I do have a driver license, and choose not to include it, is this considered withholding information, and therefore lying?

Any help would be appreciated, especially since I have to finally make up my mind about this and submit the fafsa form already.
Post edited by erjoalgo on

Replies to: Does fafsa pull out the driving record?

• OperaDadOperaDad Posts: 2,474Registered User Senior Member
    I thought the FAFSA question was "convictions, excluding traffic violations".

I think they are looking for drug convictions and other major crimes. Running a stop sign is no big deal.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,437Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think you have a choice about including your driver's license number.
  • franglishfranglish Posts: 2,308Registered User Senior Member
    Wow, thumper, I never put in my driver's license number.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,988Registered User Senior Member
    They don't use traffic violations against you for financial aid. The only thing they ask for and use against you is drug convictions. Not any other crimes. (which personally I find ridiculous - I don't advocate taking drugs at all - but that, for instance, a convicted child molester could get federal aid but not someone who smoked weed is nuts).

I am not sure why they ask for the drivers license. Maybe for informational purposes for the school for residency.
  • erjoalgoerjoalgo Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Wow. Ok, so it probably will not affect my financial aid amount. Now, Im worried that, if fafsa does pull out my driving record, that they will share it with my colleges, since I did not cite any traffic violation etc, where I perhaps should have...
    Advice? Should I include it or not include it? Most colleges' policy on not reporting something they ask for is often rebuttal of admission, and I don't want to get into that situation...
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,988Registered User Senior Member
    FAFSAF does not pull anything out of your driving record. FAFSA calculates your EFC and sends it to the schools long with any information that would make you ineligible. This includes drug convictions, not being a US citizen or eligible non citizen, not being signed up for selective service (for males). FAFSA does not care about your driving record.
    Franglish...the FAFSA asks for the student's drivers license. I don't recall that it asks for the parents. And that is a new addition since my daughter started college. I don't recall putting my son's driver's license number on his FAFSA forms.
  • FindmepeteFindmepete Posts: 345Registered User Member
    Maybe... it is simply used to locate students if they do not pay their student loans??
    Findmepete...interesting idea about locating students...but you have to wonder how many of them move to new states and get drivers licenses in that new state...after they graduate from college.

My guess is the drivers license is one way to verify state residency at the time of the application.
  • coach02740coach02740 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    No, the Fed won't pull your driving record; they couldn't care less. In fact, you can leave the field blank (or NA online). Why? Because being eligible to receive financial aid is not contingent upon have a driver's license (or even a phone for that matter).
  • RudyBagaRudyBaga Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    It is optional whether or not you enter driver's license info
    This thread is four years old...