Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

National Merit Finalist...How much do I get?

Wolftron09Wolftron09 Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
I've just been named a National Merit Finalist. How much scholarship money will I get from the following universities?

-Yale
-Princeton
-Columbia
-University of Pennsylvania
-Duke

I got accepted to USC, and they give half-tuition for Finalists. I applied to Rice, and I think they only give like $1000 a year.

Help???
Post edited by Wolftron09 on

Replies to: National Merit Finalist...How much do I get?

• ZetesisZetesis Posts: 1,751Registered User Senior Member
    Probably none; the Ivies don't give merit aid. Try googling "National Merit" on the Duke website and see if anything turns up.

Duke: I just tried this; nothing.
  • stlystly Posts: 618Registered User Member
    You don't necessarily get money. You have to be selected as a National Merit Scholar before you get money from the schools that do not participate in the college-sponsored program. National Merit Scholarship Corporation - NMSP read the winner selection paragraph underneath that.

I think the top Ivys give 2500 to each Scholar. I'm not sure about the others but Princeton offered $2500 for the National Merit Scholarship, but I did qualify for financial aid. Try looking to see if you are eligible for corporate-sponsored ones because they often pay much more, i.e., Pfizer gives 12000 over 4 years, which is much better than the one-time installment of 2500 even though you do not get the distinction of "National Merit Scholar"
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,862Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think the Ivies give anything for national merit. They do not give merit scholarships, only need based.
  • fireflyscoutfireflyscout Posts: 5,347Registered User Senior Member
    For the umpteenth time, ANYONE who receives a NM-sponsored, corporate-sponsored, or college-sponsored NM scholarship is a "National Merit Scholar".

Many NM Finalists do not receive any type of scholarship.
  • SamuraiBoySamuraiBoy Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    Is there somewhere that lists the corporate and/or college sponsors?
  • farmgirl09farmgirl09 Posts: 97Registered User Junior Member
    first off, thank you fireflyscout that annoys me too b/c it's explained like that by NM, no matter what ppl on here think

ok, so the corporate sponsors are listed in the same paper that lists the colleges that hand out aid for being NMF, which would make you a scholar, in the semifinalist packet, otherwise, just go to the website
  • fireflyscoutfireflyscout Posts: 5,347Registered User Senior Member
    A list of corporate sponsors can be found here:
    http://www.nationalmerit.org/student_guide.pdf
  • Love4LawLove4Law Posts: 227Registered User Junior Member
    Does NYU give money to NMF?