Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

FAFSA with Mid-Year Status Change (Dependent to Independent)

JustOneMoreJustOneMore Posts: 27Registered User New Member
I have 3 college students. For 2009-10, the younger two will be full-time undergrads. The oldest (turning 22 next month) is graduating with a BS in May 2009, but will be enrolling full-time in an associate's degree program in a different discipline for Fall 2009.

Since she is not 24 and will be working towards a second undergraduate degree (we will be supporting her and paying for school), she will be considered a dependant student. We have counted her as a member of the family attending college (questions 75 & 76) on both of her siblings' FAFSAs.

She will be applying to a master's program in this new discipline for Spring 2010, and if accepted, will transfer. Since she'll be in a graduate program, she'll go from being a dependent student to an independent student. How do we handle her change in status as far as the FAFSAs go? Do we send in a correction on her existing FAFSA, or does she just file a new one on her own?

I don't think we'll be requesting loans for her fall semester because the fees will be low, so am I correct in thinking that the cleanest thing to do would be to pay for fall out-of-pocket (no FAFSA needed for her then) and just have her file her own FAFSA if she gets into the master's program? Lastly, her change from dependent to independent under this scenario will not affect her siblings' FAFSAs, right?
Post edited by JustOneMore on

Replies to: FAFSA with Mid-Year Status Change (Dependent to Independent)

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 37,123Registered User Senior Member
    The way you report it on THE SIBLING'S FAFSA's remain the same if you are still supporting her. She would still be a member of the family and she would still be pursuing a degree. BUT it is up to the SCHOOLs whether THEY will consider her in the count...some do and some don't.

When she applies to the grad school, she will be submitting a new FAFSA to that school. On that one she will be independent for financial aid purposes and no parent info will be required (unless a requirement of the school). Siblings will not be mentioned on her FAFSA.
  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Posts: 5,746Registered User Senior Member
    I would think you'd want to file the 09/10 FAFSA now anyway since she'll need it to get Stafford/Grad loans next spring. And, if your state has any grad benefits/loans available, they'll want the filing by their deadline this year. Seems like you could do a correction at the end of fall semester or ask the grad school when they need it done by to process her award there.
  • JustOneMoreJustOneMore Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    Thank you so much for the input. :-)