Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Receiving financial aid money before school starts

omgmariomgmari Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
I will be a freshman this coming August at a private college. I got an impressive amount of scholarships both because of financial need and merit. My school disburses funds left over around September 14th, but school starts August 21st. I need money to buy my plane ticket (school is across the country), a computer, my supplies, my textbooks, pretty much everything. My parents are not currently supporting me and what I make right now goes toward basic living expenses. What can I do here? Is it even heard of for schools to give money to students beforehand in situations like this?
Post edited by omgmari on

Replies to: Receiving financial aid money before school starts

• sk8rmomsk8rmom Posts: 5,746Registered User Senior Member
    Look at this thread where kelsmom explains the regs on refund disbursements:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/725278-so-when-exactly-do-you-get-your-loans.html

It doesn't sound like you have loans and they're obviously not holding funds for 30 days, so you should probably just give them a call and let them know your situation. If your total aid meets all of your EFC, they may release some money or give you a bookstore voucher when school starts so you can buy your books but I'd be surprised if they did so any earlier than that as they can't be sure you'll actually show up in August!

Were any of your scholarships local, where the check was only made out to you? If so, use that money and your grad gift money/summer earnings for your plane ticket. You could also use a credit card (or ask a relative to put it on their charge account for a month til you get your refund). A computer isn't a necessity right away, most colleges have tons of computers for students to use. Some do give computers to low EFC kids who apply for them, so you check to Reed has a program like that.