Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

what is a stipend

jackie fosterjackie foster Posts: 2Registered User New Member
what is a stipend payment? I attend college online, and my financial statement shows a negative ($750.00) dollar amount under 'payment' and it's description is "Stipend - 042FFUN 2008-09."
Post edited by jackie foster on

Replies to: what is a stipend

• violadadvioladad Posts: 6,641Registered User Senior Member
    If you google "stipend definition", you will find a number of definitions that may specifically fit your particular circumstance. In general, it is a sum of money paid to support some form of activity. Within the college/academia context, it is typically awarded to support study or to be used as a supplement for living expenses.

Contact your institution's bursar's office. They can identify the code "042 FFUN 2008-09", and provide the detail as to why it was awarded, and if there are specific obligations on your part as a stipend recipient.
  • jackie fosterjackie foster Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    I just don't understand why it is a negative dollar amount either. I came across it this weekend, but I am going to contact my financial aid advisor during the week.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,988Registered User Senior Member
    A negative balance on my daughter's account means they owe her money.