Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cappex.com Is it legit?

cvickstcvickst Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
I just made a profile on the website cappex.com. There I can apply for a number of scholarships just by clicking "Apply". All that is needed is a profile made with the site.

So is this actually legit? It seems too good to be true.

Anybody with any experience with the site?
Post edited by cvickst on

Replies to: Cappex.com Is it legit?

• junshikjunshik Posts: 1,888Registered User Senior Member
    It's like fastweb, a legitimate site, but definitely fishy since it asks for your social security number.
  • cvickstcvickst Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    Well so far it hasn't asked me for my social security #. And in the terms and conditions it hasn't said anything about that either. So maybe they got rid of that?
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 21,898Registered User Senior Member
    I have used cappex, but I haven't had to give my SSN.

Use fastweb, cappex is kind of useless IMO.
  • college_ruledcollege_ruled Posts: 1,243Registered User Senior Member
  • pisces8519pisces8519 Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    There are so many people on cappex and since most of the scholarships are based on an easy profile, its very easy for a ton of people to apply so I think the chances of winning are much slimmer than a scholarship that actually requires some work like many of the essay-based ones on fastweb. I say use the other features of cappex (like there chance-me application) or use it to get info on schools, but don't count on getting a lot of money from them.
  • pisces8519pisces8519 Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    There are so many people on cappex and since most of the scholarships are based on an easy profile, its very easy for a ton of people to apply so I think the chances of winning are much slimmer than a scholarship that actually requires some work like many of the essay-based ones on fastweb. I say use the other features of cappex (like there chance-me application) or use it to get info on schools, but don't count on getting a lot of money from them.
  • latinisfunlatinisfun Posts: 186Registered User Junior Member
    The chance-me feature is pretty useless too. It only considers grades and GPA, so is really kind of stupid for small private schools (especially top-tier ones). Even at large publics, other factors are very important.
  • crazymomstercrazymomster Posts: 1,868Registered User Senior Member
    We've had completely positive experiences with Cappex. They have even sent us 3 caps and respond to any customer service issues we have (usually issues with dial up computer). We've appreciated the info gained through the site. I don't think there's any chance of winning a scholarship through them, but we try all the same :-). They do have a great list however of lots of scholarships available, not just the "apply now" ones on their page.