Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Financial aid appeal letter

israelj055israelj055 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
This semester my grades were horrible. They could have been better but I didn't do as good as i could have. This is my appeal letter for financial aid. Just tell me if you'd approve it and whether or not you thing the financial aid office will approve it.

Dear Dianne Cox, Director of Financial Aid
I’m very distressed by the news of my removal from this college’s financial aid. I can only hold myself responsible for this outcome. I believe it was because I was not fully prepared for my college experience. I was not able to keep up with my work properly and efficiently. I understand that I didn’t perform to the best of my abilities, and I never requested additional help when I saw that I was falling behind in my studies. I believe that my work schedule also prevented me from meeting satisfactory academic progress. My schedule required me to spend too much of my time working. I believe that I was letting work hinder me from doing as well as I could have here. Without financial aid I would not be able to attend Dalton State College. This whole experience has taught me that I need to reorder my priorities to succeed academically. I know I have what it takes to become a better student. My dismissal from financial aid has taught me a costly lesson which I do not take nonchalantly. I feel I have necessary knowledge to achieve great success if given chance. I’m well aware that Dalton State College chooses students who take academics seriously and I too feel that I’m one of them. The quantity of knowledge that I could obtain from Dalton State College is very vast and I hope you grant me the opportunity to have that. I have taken an academic leave from my job and I have no doubt that doing this will allow me to better myself academically. I also feel that this experience would give me an edge in learning. My personal belief is “knowledge is the key to unlocking the door of success”. With this attitude and strong passion, I believe, I have potential to become successful student. With your assistance, I can make this happen. I hope you grant me the opportunity to demonstrate that. The Steps I am going to take or have taken to assure successful academic progress in the future are:
• Taking an Academic leave so that I can study more.
• Obtaining a tutor for the classes I find difficult.
• Getting over my fear of asking for help.
• Meeting with each of my instructors regularly to talk with them about what they believe will make me a better student in their class.
• Going to the scheduled office hours of each instructor when I am having difficulty with the class material.
• Developing a relationship with other students to form study groups.
• Going to class on time as scheduled.
Without financial aid, I lack the ability to continue on with my education. I am a hard working student and the upcoming semester will prove so. My education is of vital importance to me. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely yours.
Post edited by israelj055 on

Replies to: Financial aid appeal letter

• scottaascottaa Posts: 1,037Registered User Senior Member
    I wouldn't put so much emphasis on your job as detracting from your studies. These folks know full well how much time the typical student has on their hands.

Eat crow, tell them you screwed up, and then list what you will do to correct it.