Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Full ride scholarships for low-income families?

ezpezp Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
I know Harvard offers full ride for familes who earn >60,000
I heard that A&M does the same for families who earn >45,000

My family earns 10,000ish. I am not worried about getting into a good school, but I am a bit concerned about tuition. I bust my ass in high school and I want to ensure that my work will be reciprocated with a good college education. What other schools have scholarships like that?
Post edited by ezp on

Replies to: Full ride scholarships for low-income families?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,558Registered User Senior Member
    It seems like you're looking for full need financial aid. Scholarships are based on academic stats. Financial aid is based on need (income/assets).

Which A&M are you talking about?

Are you saying that this A&M school provides free tuition, room, board, books, etc for those who earn less than $45k? Or do they just provide free tuition?

What state are you in?

What are your stats? GPA, SAT, ACT

Are you a junior or senior?
  • ezpezp Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    A&M in College Station. I did some research and I found that Columbia, Duke, Stanford, and UT Arlington do too. I'm a junior in a low-income, high-crime-rate neighborhood in north Texas. If I don't get into a top-tier college right away, I was wanting to go to a community college and transfer, although I know some schools (like Princeton, and indefinitely Harvard) don't accept transfers.

GPA 3.9, which will go up.
    SAT 2100, which will go up.
    AP World History 3 (pathetic I know)
    APs this year - English language, US history, psychology, statistics, physics c mechanics, macroeconomics and microeconomics (not in class, but a lot of kids at my school take micro exam after taking macro class)

next year - calculus bc, English literature, physics c e&m, chemistry, us government & politics, environmental science, human geography, and maybe comparative government, Spanish, and Italian (last three are self-study)
  • ezpezp Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    Oh yeah, I forgot to say -- "financial aid" then, sorry, I'm not really experienced when it comes to college :-P

Background - first generation high school graduate, incarcerated father, you get the picture
  • college_ruledcollege_ruled Posts: 1,243Registered User Senior Member
    Edward, this: Project on Student Debt: What's the Bottom Line? is a good place to start. Also, check out Questbridge. (QuestBridge Home Page)
  • applicannotapplicannot Posts: 4,366Registered User Senior Member
    You sound like the perfect QuestBridge candidate. QuestBridge is a special application program for low-income students. The application is much longer and more intense than the Common Application (and you'll have to fill that out too, for some schools), but it allows you to highlight your situation much more thoroughly.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,558Registered User Senior Member
    Ahhh... Texas A&M (other states have A&M schools, too. :) )

Are you saying that Tex A&M gives low income kids "free tuition"? or a "free full ride" (tuition, room, meals, books, etc). I hadn't heard that they give everything for free.

Yes, Questbridge is a good idea.

Also, do you know how you did on your PSAT?

Are you a citizen or resident (that also makes a difference to some schools in regards to aid).

you have very good stats :) Take the ACT also; some do better on that, and schools will accept whichever is higher. :)

What is the breakdown of your SAT? Schools often award merit scholarships based on Math + CR scores.

With strong stats you'll have some options...either being accepted to a school like Vandy that will pay will meet full need without loans, or other schools that will award you a lot of merit and much/all of the rest will get paid for by fed aid.

Look into Questbridge and note the deadlines. :)