Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Green crad holder, good sponsor, financial aid help

themoroccanthemoroccan Posts: 2Registered User New Member
Hello friends, i have realy serious issue while i was applying for my green card my father in law was my sponsor, he makes good income i would say above $100,000,so after all the went good and i got my green crad i was all excited that now i can get some financial aid and stuff till my wife told me that i can not apply for the fafsa because of your sponsor, i just got little bite confused because when he accepted to be my sponsor i though just in case for emergencies. my question again is do i ll be able to apply for the fafsa and financial aid ?
Post edited by themoroccan on

Replies to: Green crad holder, good sponsor, financial aid help

• swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,942Registered User Senior Member
    Do you actually have a green card? If you have a green card you are an eligible permanent resident and are eligible for FAFSA. I have never heard that your sponsor has anything to do with it. There are no questions about your sponsor on FAFSA. It just asks if you are a citizen or an eligible permanent resident. As you are married you are an independent student for FA purposes (as is your wife). Your eligibility for aid will be based on your (both you and your wife) income and assets.

If the green card is a recent thing you may find your FAFSA says they can't match you as an eligible permanent resident. In that case you will have to take your paperwork to your school so they can verify your status.
  • themoroccanthemoroccan Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    yes i do have my green card , well the reason i guess my wife said that i wont be able to get any financial aid is because when she uses to go to school she was not eligible for any aid cz of her dad , so she thaught it will be the same case for me since he is my sponsor. but yeah thank you very much for clearing things up swimcatsmom.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,017Registered User Senior Member
    Your wife was a dependent of her father before she was married. You are not a dependent of your FIL.