Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

1040s and W2

Robo2Robo2 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
Some of the schools, (CMU) is asking that I send my parents 1040 and W2 forms.
I have done my profile and fafsa, but I am confused on how I should go about sending my 1040 and W2 forms. Do I just make an envelope stuff the forms in and send it out, or do I include some sort of "Hey I am x, and this is y" with the envelope.
Thanks.
Post edited by Robo2 on

Replies to: 1040s and W2

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 34,905Registered User Senior Member
    First of all....make copies, don't send the originals. I would include a cover letter:

Enclosed are the W-2 Forms and Tax forms for Student Name.

Include your name, address, email and phone numbers. Hand write YOUR name at the top of each page you send: Student Name: Joe Smith

We were advised to do this just in case papers got separated.
  • Robo2Robo2 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    Thanks.

Do I send the whole form, or just the first 2 pages (of the 1040)?
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 34,905Registered User Senior Member
    The school likely specified what they want. So check. BUT typically, they want the 1040 form itself and all schedules....and the W2 and 1099 forms....COPIES of them.
  • R124687R124687 Posts: 1,513Registered User Senior Member
    I had a school want only the first two pages of the federal, and another school wanted all "schedules" as well.

Make sure the COPIES of the tax returns are signed.

One of our schools also asked that you put your applicant ID number on the page, if you had one. They should give you a specific address/department where they want that snail mailed (or faxed).