Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Are full-ride scholarships still available for 35 ACT/ 2320 SAT?

HatsyaHatsya Posts: 12Registered User New Member
To put it simply, I'm a junior with a 4.0 who recently decided to graduate early from high school with her associate of science from a local community college. I've recently taken both the SAT(2320; R 800, M 770, W 750) and ACT(35; R 36, W 36, S 36, M 33). Although I've applied to two colleges already (University of Utah and Southern Utah University, I live in Utah), I'm wondering if there are other colleges I should consider where I could get a good scholarship as my dad, although a doctor, does not want to pay for my bachelor's in chemistry.

I know it's very late in the college application process and most good scholarships have closed, but I was curious and would hate to miss an opportunity of a better education. I would really just like to go to a university with very strong academics and good research opportunities.

As far as my extracurriculars go, the ones that come to mind are,
I think I'm considered varsity team captain on cross-country
I participate in Track and Field
I'm an honor student in Academic Decathlon who got region Top Scholar
I'm senator for the juniors in my early college high school program
I've participated in Science Olympiads for the last 4 years
I've participated in high school plays
I've played in the high school band
I volunteer with an animal rescue group
I've gone to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair

Thanks so much for your time and any advice you might offer,

Hatsya
Post edited by Hatsya on

Replies to: Are full-ride scholarships still available for 35 ACT/ 2320 SAT?

• EndicottEndicott Posts: 1,435Registered User Senior Member
    Are you wanting to go as a junior or as a freshman? It's harder to get scholarships as a transfer student. And your dad is being an ass.
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove Posts: 5,878Registered User Senior Member
    Is there any way to reconsider your decision to graduate early? Because your admissions and aid options are really limited under your current plan. Given your GPA, your test scores, your ECs and your location, not to mention being a female interested in a physical science, you could well be in contention for generous scholarships from a variety of schools IF you wait until the next admissions cycle.

You might not want to explain your situation on a public forum, but based on what you've written, my best advice to you is to remain in high school and apply to college next year.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 63,349Registered User Senior Member
    You absolutely should reconsider graduating early. You would have so many more WONDERFUL choices if you wait one more year. You've missed so many opportunities.

Can't you just take some rather easy high school classes next year along with a class or two of dual enrollment? As long as you don't graduate from high school, you'll be eligible for some awesome scholarships. The best scholarships are for kids who are still in high school and will start college the following fall. Don't take a gap year, many scholarships aren't available then, either.

Does your high school offer an option where you can take one or two classes and work a part-time job next year?

BTW...why does your dad not want to pay for a bachelors in chemistry? Will he pay for ANY of your college?
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Posts: 4,342Registered User Senior Member
    Let me make sure that I understand.

1. You are a junior in HS with 4.0 and a 35 ACT.
    2. You are completing an Associates degree in science
    3. Your parents don't want to pay for college (but would pay for Utah if they had to).

Does that mean that you will enter University of Utah as a junior and graduate with a bachelor's degree in Chemistry in just 2 years? I'm not talking about just the number of credits, but of the "right" credits?

Most of the best schools award scholarships based on need only, and only to freshman. There are also a number of really good private schools that award competitive scholarships only on merit, but you may not get one. Though you are competitive, they are very difficult to get.

From where you are (if I'm correct about needing only 2 years), I would just go to Utah, and do what you can to prepare for graduate school. It's one of the least expensive flagship universities in the nation. In-state tuition is only $5746, and room+board is only $6240. I'm not sure why you bothered with Southern Utah. I don't see any possibility of getting rejected by Utah. This costs of Utah is not much more than the cost would be with a full-tuition-only scholarship at many top schools.

As other posters have said, you could wait a year and apply for a full ride at Pittsburgh, Alabama or Kentucky, the usual "full-ride" schools, but you lose a year and does that leave you any better off? I think that Alabama and Kentucky are comparable to Utah. Is Pittsburgh, while substantially higher ranked, worth wasting a whole year of forward progress? I doubt it. Furthermore, there is a good chance that these schools will view you as a transfer student anyway since you are earning a degree now!

I think that that track you are on is still a really fast track. You're time might be better spent lining up serious research opportunities for the summer.

Good luck.
  • schriztoschrizto Posts: 4,099Registered User Senior Member
    Wait a year and entertain yourself with some ECs while you're at it, and apply next cycle. With those stats, you would get merit scholarships at a lot of schools. I know at Pitt, my school, it's pretty likely you'd get a full tuition scholarship with those numbers provided you apply early (usually before January). Case Western, URochester, RPI are private schools that award generous merit aid based on stats. You'd be able to get one of their top scholarships at those places but it won't be a full ride.
  • HatsyaHatsya Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Thanks for all the input!

To explain my dad better, my brother's about to go through medical school, my sister's two years behind him, and my dad's recently been investing, so a lot of money is tied up. I just wanted to make it clear I couldn't qualify for financial aid. Anyways, because it looks like I can get good scholarships at the University of Utah, he thinks I should just go there.

As for waiting a year, to be honest, I don't want to take a year off! I love learning and figuring out the world around me, so I wouldn't want to refrain from taking college classes. If I stay another year and take classes, I'll have 100+ credits that may or may not transfer, so I would have to take the same classes over again. Thus, graduation seems like the best option.

I think ClassicRockerDad summed it up quite well.

I have a pretty good school I can go to now, and I can pursue a more interesting university for a graduate degree. I was just wondering if there was any other places I could/should still apply to.

Thanks for all the input,

Hatsya
  • GeekMom63GeekMom63 Posts: 1,957Registered User Senior Member
    You don't mention National Merit - are you in that pipeline? Several schools give killer scholarships for National Merit scholars, but I don't know how it works if you start early. Westminster College in Utah gives great scholarships! They might be willing to work with you even without National Merit Finalist status - I don't know. Financial Aid Calculator - Westminster College Salt Lake City, Utah
    Other schools are Univ of Oklahoma, Univ of New Mex or Arizona (one of those SW states).

I agree with the people who say to wait, especially if you're going to be an NMF, although you've already decided. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is great, with a free and easy application, and although they have crummy aid in general, they might give something to a girl with your stats. Case Western says on the Common App that they are still accepting applications, but their web site says the deadline is passed. They are supposed to give pretty good aid, though.

My son is very similar to you actually - graduating simultaneously with an AS and over 100 credits one year early. He's applying this year to college and is considering a gap year. But we're eligible for financial aid.

Good luck!
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove Posts: 5,878Registered User Senior Member
    Hatsya, thanks for the additional explanation. One more suggestion for you: go (re)visit the campuses you've applied to, and arrange to talk to some professors in the chem department. Since you're aiming at grad school within a couple of years, you'll need to get a jump on forging relationships with undergrad professors. Find out about opportunities for getting involved with research, and confirm that you'll actually be able to finish in two years (or three).
    Good point about NMF, but since the student is only a current junior, he/she hasn't been named yet.
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,019Registered User Senior Member
    The University of Utah is one of the most underrated colleges in the country. They have very strong programs in most of the sciences and some awesome opportunities for undergrad research. The only real weakness with the U is a rather low-achieving student body, but it sounds like you are self-motivated and don't need a horde of competitive peers to do well (I'm sure that there will be a few anyway).

I would go there if you get good scholarships, work really hard on both academics and research projects, and go to a great grad school.
  • HatsyaHatsya Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    I got a 226 on my PSAT, so I was hoping that I could find supplementary money in my senior year of college. I called the actual National Merit Scholarship people and they said that they would still provide the scholarship even if you graduated early. I'm not sure about institutional scholarships though.

As for establishing a relationship with the chemistry department, at SUU I took a chemistry course in the summer and got to know the professors there pretty well. I ended up getting 100% on my Chem 1210 ACS exam, so they all seem to think I'm a genius and would like to do research with me if I go there.

At the U of U, I applied for the ACCESS program, so potentially that could get me some research opportunities.

Thanks for the tips on Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, University of Oklahoma, University of Arizona, and University of New Mexico. I'm looking into them right now to see how they rank in comparison the University of Utah.
  • SWHarborfanSWHarborfan Posts: 672- Member
    My advice: wait a year and apply for merit scholarships at Wash U., Rice, Emory, USC, and Tulane. All fine schools, and they might turn out to exhaust less of what your father is willing to pay.

You sound exceptional and could flourish, anywhere, but you deserve peers who are your equal, too.

Best of luck!

P.S. Kids who take a year off, do a Gap year, tend to have less depression, less substance, less normative time getting through college, and have higher GPAs, fyi.
    Taking a year off of school can hurt merit scholarship opportunities.

Many schools only award scholarships while the student is in high school with the agreement that the student will start college in the fall.
  • gapyearstudentgapyearstudent Posts: 1,679Registered User Senior Member
    ^Is that verified? You should call up individual colleges and ask, OP, of you decide to go the gap year route. FWIW, your parents' income and assets normally don't matter when it comes to merit scholarships. I took a gap year and still got merit scholarships.
  • SWHarborfanSWHarborfan Posts: 672- Member
    Agree with Gapyearstudent--have heard that a year off doesn't affect merit scholarships. In fact, some schools will think you more enterprising.