Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

kytypopekytypope Posts: 14Registered User New Member
My son is going to a private college with cost of 31000
our efc score is 6632 what does that mean?
Post edited by kytypope on

Replies to: efc score

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 63,369Registered User Senior Member
    Which school is it? Is it a FAFSA only school or did you have to fill out other FA forms (such as CSS profile or the school's own forms)?

Is it a school that has a policy to meet need with low loans or no loans?

If the school doesn't meet need with low or no loans, then you could be expected to pay for a lot of your son's college costs.

Did he apply to any financial safety schools, too?

How much can you afford to pay each year?
    Forgot to add...with an EFC of $6632, you won't qualify for any free federal aid.

Which school is this?
  • kytypopekytypope Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    it is Western New England College is Spfls Ma
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 19,998Super Moderator Senior Member
    Ktypope, That number is the minimum you can expect to pay yearly, if the college meets your full need. I doubt WNEC will meet your full need so you can expect have an additional "gap" to pay. Your son will at least be able to borrow some money through a Stafford loan.
    Judging from their own website, they don't give very good aid. Financial Aid FAQs

see below....

Q. I am an incoming freshman and the financial aid package I received from Western New England College is less than I received at another school. Why?

It is common for students to receive differing packages at different schools. Each institution has its own awarding criteria that may treat students differently, especially when it comes to awarding institutional funds.

Q. I received a merit scholarship at another school. Will Western New England College match it?

Most institutions, including Western New England College do not match another school’s financial aid award. Western New England College has its own unique selection criteria for scholarships.

Q. If I don’t receive a merit scholarship at Western New England College my freshman year, can I receive one another year if I do well academically?

Merit scholarships are awarded to incoming freshman and are renewed each year the required academic criteria are met. There are no merit scholarships available for upperclassmen who did not receive one as an incoming student.

Q. Will Western New England College meet 100% of my need according to the FAFSA?

The financial aid office has a limited amount of resources to distribute as equitably as possible to our financial aid applicants. We meet a percentage of a student’s need with grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study. Most families supplement their award with resources such as Plus loans, alternative loans, or payment plans.

That means that they expect you to take out loans each year to cover an amount that is in addition to the $6600 they expect you to pay each year.

How much can you afford to pay each year?

The school has a financial aid calculator on their website...did you use it?
    Financial Aid Calculator

Does your son plan on commuting to this school? IF he plans on living on campus, the cost is a LOT more than $31k. http://www1.wnec.edu/admissions/index.cfm?selection=doc.4

Where else did your son apply? This school may not be affordable for your family. What are your son's stats? Did he get a scholarship to this school?
  • kytypopekytypope Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    he also applied at Westfield State College
    Umass Dartmouth
    Lasellle College