Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

FAFSA- order of schools

ka2010ka2010 Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
I heard that on the FAFSA the order you put your schools in matters.

Like for instance, the school I put as my second school is probably going to be the place I attend. Do I need to change anything about my FAFSA now? I'm so confused so I don't know if I'm making any sense.
Post edited by ka2010 on

Replies to: FAFSA- order of schools

• sk8rmomsk8rmom Posts: 5,746Registered User Senior Member
    Do not change your FAFSA over this! It's a waste of everyone's time and it does not matter...FAFSA info goes to the FA office and they're busy enough without trying to figure out some crazy scheme of orders. It's highly unlikely they care enough to see where else you applied...their job is to award aid for their school!
  • footballmom104footballmom104 Posts: 1,064Registered User Senior Member
    I don't know ... I read an article on the US News and World Report where a student had appealed an aid package at UMCP and the counselor declined, in part because it was the last school on the student's list and the counselor saw this as a sign of committment. My S put his first choice first (although he ended up at his safety, mainly for $$$ reasons.) That said, it's probably not a big enough deal to change your whole FAFSA over.
  • vballmomvballmom Posts: 3,128Super Moderator Senior Member
    I vaguely remember reading that if you're in California and applying for a Cal Grant, you should list a Cal public first (assuming you're applying at one). If that's relevant to you, try doing a search on this forum.
  • JohnAdams12JohnAdams12 Posts: 2,587- Senior Member
    nonsense, I simply cannot believe this...

there is no way the order that one entered the schools in FAFSA should be looked at by anyone as to the preference of the schools.

any school counselor that thinks otherwise should be fired

any college that thinks otherwise should not be pursued
  • lacrossemomlacrossemom Posts: 630Registered User Member
    As we were filling out forms today, it allows you to switch the order of your schools. If this is truly not a big deal, I find it interesting that the feature is included. To be safe, we spent time thinking through the preferred order just in case.
  • vballmomvballmom Posts: 3,128Super Moderator Senior Member
    For Cal Grants:
    If you list more than one college in Step 6 on your FAFSA application, only the college you listed first will receive notification of your new Cal Grant eligibility. (If you end up attending a college other than the first college listed in Step 6 on your FAFSA application, you may need to contact that college's financial aid office or contact the California Student Aid Commission directly (1-888-224-7268) for that school to receive your eligibility information).

Financial Aid - Cabrillo College
    If you list a California Community College before a four-year California college on your FAFSA, it will be assumed the community college is your first choice.

CAL Grant Information
    * FAFSA on the Web allows the student to list up to 10 colleges/universities that will receive his/her student and parent information
    * The student should list first the California school he/she is most likely to attend
    * Then list other schools to which the student is applying for admission

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CBIQFjAAOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calgrants.org%2Fdocuments%2F2010_FAFSA_on_The_Web_Worksheet_PowerPoint_Presentation.ppt&rct=j&q=cal%20grant%20fafsa%20application%20college%20list%20first&ei=XJkiTaqbAoa0sAPTp-2NCw&usg=AFQjCNG7bdX59qtfnsI7nkHwc79UaX77Tg&sig2=hxMfyPzYUQRhDYtNw3pChg&cad=rja
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,870Registered User Senior Member
    This question comes up every year. There have been a couple of posters who have said that their states aid program requires a State U to be listed first. I was doubtful but a couple of years back a poster posted a link to their state requirements, and it did say that. Can't remember the state though.

It does seem odd. I would think most schools would not have the time to worry about it.