Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is the best scholarship finder website?

akujiezeakujieze Posts: 159Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
Hey everyone,
I've been searching for scholarships online for quite some time now, in addition to the ones in my guidance office at school. Along this journey, I have come in contact with many phony scholarship sites that just want your info to send it out to third-party companies. What websites do you guys know of, that are actually legit, and could help me in my search?
Post edited by akujieze on

Replies to: What is the best scholarship finder website?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,553Registered User Senior Member
    There are some legit websites, but do not count on outside scholarships to pay for your education. They are VERY difficult to win, they are often for small amounts, and often for only freshman year.

If you need scholarships to pay for your education (or to help pay) then you need to look at schools that give them. Those are bigger and for multiple years.
  • akujiezeakujieze Posts: 159Registered User Junior Member
    thanks, i appreciate the advise, will take that into conderation

but every cent counts.

can anyone name a website?
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    We have a bunch of high schools in our district, so I looked around at the different schools' guidance pages and found quite a few local scholarships. The local awards are sometimes easier to get than the national ones. If you have been researching online for quite some time, I am certain that you have explored the best known sites and I would not have any to add.
  • collegemawcollegemaw Posts: 281Registered User Junior Member
    try theW-as-h-b-oa-rd org (without the dashes!)
  • djtoppsdjtopps Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    There's the standard list of scholarship search sites like FastWeb, Cappex, Sallie Mae Scholarship search, etc. There are also manually updated lists of scholarships like the Best List of College Scholarships or the lists posted on guidance department websites. Any scholarship you get from these sources should be legit, especially the manually edited lists since someone is actually reviewing and researching the scholarship before adding it to the list.

One piece of advice that could be helpful:

Don't limit yourself to your guidance department's scholarships. In other words, visit the web sites of other local high schools' guidance departments and look at the list of their scholarships. Some of these will be specific to their school, but you may find some scholarships you're eligible for that you didn't know about before.

Hope this helps!
  • CJ0000CJ0000 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    I am looking for a site that provided a list of private grants? I am new to these forums, so if this is already a thread somewhere, could someone point me to it? Thanks CJ

Oh, and I use Student Loans For College | StudentLoansForCollege.org for scholarships because you do not have to register and they always add new ones.
  • endof18endof18 Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    Private grants?
  • CJ0000CJ0000 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    endof18: yes, private grants. I'm just looking to increase my chances of getting some help paying for school, and looking for some good resource, I have applied for pretty much all the scholarships I can, and now I'm look for a site that offers a list private grants, know of any?

Thanks!
  • willmingtonwavewillmingtonwave Posts: 3,344Registered User Senior Member
    Scholarships360 | Unique scholarships for unique students is a great site. They do one scholarship per day.
    I found fastwebs to be cumbersome and full of irrelevant scholarships.