Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Did you get less than last year?

zappy123zappy123 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
I am waiting to find out what my fin aid package will be for 2nd year.
Financial situation is the same as last year but school might be doling out less money, since more folks need $ this year. For those of you who already got their fin aid for the upcoming school year - was it as much as you received the year before or less?????
Post edited by zappy123 on

Replies to: Did you get less than last year?

• mspackmommspackmom Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    My son received his aid award today for the second year. It was virtually the same except, last year he received a Perkins loan, but this year he received a Federal Subsidized loan. The loan amount didn't change, just the type of loan.
  • lion0709lion0709 Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    Just got D2's financial aid award today. Grant went from $16,000 to $10,000. Loan and student work stayed the same. I was expecting the decreased aid given the fact that our income went up last year. I'm happy that we receive any assistance so I'm not complaining.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,478Super Moderator Senior Member
    lion, I peeked at your posts to see which school ... is it Vandy? I looked at D's (rising senior) and the award is much less than I expected. Income went up, but we now have two in school. All I see right now is a significant scholarship, though ... no grants or work study component ... so am wondering if it's actually done yet. Is yours scholarship, grant, work study, or a combination? And did you receive an email saying it's ready?

(oops - just reread your post & it's a combination - but did you get an "it's ready" email? Or maybe it's NOT the Vandy child ...)
  • lion0709lion0709 Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    kelsmom - D1 is at Vandy. She will be a senior next year and receives a 1/2 athletic scholarship; I don't think we would qualify for any other financial aid at Vandy given our EFC so we have never applied there. D2 is at Scripps. She is the one whose financial aid package I wrote about above.
  • terrygregterrygreg Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    Did anyone get their 2010/2011 finaid info from Emory yet?
    I was told it would be available to view on OPUS after June 1st, but nothing yet
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,644Registered User Senior Member
    Got D1s FA package last weekend, we got more FA than last year. I had hoped that was the case since my income was down and my FAFSA EFC was lower this year. This is a very generous school who stated that it would not reduce it's FA policies when the bottom fell out a couple of years ago.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 24,096Registered User Senior Member
    As a general rule, even without what has been happening with the economy, increased needs, and endowment investment woes, second and subsequent years' financial aid packages tend to be less generous even at the same family financial situation. The reason is that many schools and this includes some full need met schools have built into their formulas an increasing shift of the financial burden to the student. The student should be getting more loans, making more money during the year.

The first year awards do tend to be the most generous is what I have seen and read. It is also a recruiting devise.
  • momfirst3momfirst3 Posts: 1,156Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter, an incoming junior got more, my son (1 semester left) still hasn't received his award, and my other son (an incoming freshman) got almost a full ride.... I feel very, very blessed.
    Congratulations, Momfirst3. Sounds like you have a great bunch. Fingers crossed for that senior's awards.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,478Super Moderator Senior Member
    Our aid has increased each year & is generally not ready until mid-June for returning students. I just got nervous when I saw the scholarship & nothing else. I am guessing that it's only partially ready at this point. The school has been wonderful.
    I'm glad for you too, Kelsmom. Hope that things continue this way for the upcoming year.