Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Financial Aid Difference in Sophomore Year

moose33moose33 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
I will be a sophomore at the University of Rochester this fall semester. I was just notified of the amount of financial aid that will be awarded to me next semester and it is significantly less than the past two semesters. I would have to somehow acquire an extra $5,000 per semester compared to last year. I don't understand how this could be when I have a 3.84 GPA and my parents are making less money now than they were last year. I have talked to others at U of R and they say that their financial aid has not changed much at all. I have already emailed my financial aid counselor about what the cause of the difference in financial aid could be due to. Is there anything else that can be done? I am seriously considering transferring because I cannot afford to attend U of R at this price.
Post edited by moose33 on

Replies to: Financial Aid Difference in Sophomore Year

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,627Registered User Senior Member
    Did you go over your F/A paperwork to see if you made a mistake? (Compare last year's paperwork with this year's)

Did your FAFSA EFC change?

What was reduced in your FA package? Was a grant reduced?

Did you have any one-time outside scholarships last year?
  • moose33moose33 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Yes, my FAFSA EFC changed, but I'm not sure why since my mom lost her job and my parents are now making less money.
    Grant money was reduced, as was some needs-based scholarship money. My merit scholarship remained the same.
  • MathewlrMathewlr Posts: 146Registered User Junior Member
    When your mom lost her job did she receive a severance check? From my understanding severance checks are typically quite large and that may have impacted your aid.
    Compare the FAFSA that you submitted in 2009 with the one you recently submitted in 2010.

What is different? Did the income rise?

Did savings rise?

When did your mom lose her job?

Did she receive a severence in 2009?

Or, did she receive a severence in 2010?

Was the severence in savings at the time of FAFSA submittal?

How much did the EFC change?
  • moose33moose33 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    My mom received a severance check in 2009. The EFC went from 3900 to 7900. The income did not change. Could I have made a mistake in filling out the FAFSA?
  • 'rentof2'rentof2 Posts: 4,327Registered User Senior Member
    It depends on the size of the severance check, but in general I think the best advice is to compare your recent FAFSA with last year's. It will be a good way to either see exactly what is making the EFC come out so differently -- it may be income or assets, or it may be a mistake.
    When you say that the "income" didn't change from 2008 to 2009, are you counting the severance check as "income"?

For instance, if your family earned $50k in 2008, but then your family earned $30k in 2009 from wages, but also received $20k in severance?

Also, was there any change in the number of children going to college in your family?

Also, when you filed your FAFSA, was there a large amount in savings (perhaps from the severence)?