Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

English Major in Florida

OrlandoGirl26OrlandoGirl26 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited January 2016 in Florida Colleges
Hi I'm currently a junior and I'm going to be heading to college fall of 2017. I have Florida Pre-Pay so I need to go to a college here. I'm planning on majoring in a form of writing either journalism, creative writing, or editing. My dream is to be an author. I'm already working on four different book series that I hope to get published one day. I would also possibly like to pursue a career as a journalist or pursue a career working for a publishing company. I'm having trouble figuring out which college in my state is best for this. If you could help me narrow it down that would be great. Thank you.

Replies to: English Major in Florida

• ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,562 Senior Member
    Despite the collapse of that profession, UF has consistently had a nationally ranked journalism school.

http://www.rtdna.org/article/survey_the_top_20_journalism_schools_2014
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 5,387 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    FYI: Florida Prepaid can be used to pay for out of state schools, but you would get far more bang for your dollar staying in-state (bright futures. low in-state rates, and prepaid likely will allow you to avoid the "Tuition Differential" which is currently about $44 a credit hour). This is especially true with UF as an option for Journalism.
    If your child decides to attend an out-of-state or private school we transfer an amount equal to what would be paid to the Florida school your plan is designed for – you’re just responsible for the difference. If this is the case, you can choose to receive the full value of your plan all at once, or transfer the funds on a credit hour by credit hour basis. All you’ll need to do is fill out a Transfer Form.
  • OrlandoGirl26OrlandoGirl26 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    My one problem with UF is that I won't be able to get into it with my 3.2 GPA.
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 5,387 Senior Member
    Hmm....then you may want to look into UCF and USF. They may be high matches, but have decent journalism programs. New College may also be a choice (as an English major). Some of the smaller privates such as Florida Southern University have good journalism programs, and accept Bright Futures and Pre-paid. They are worth a look.

Good Luck!!
This discussion has been closed.