Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

NRI Difficulty

Mystic221Mystic221 Posts: 212Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2008 in Foreign Medical Education
How hard is it to get into a medical school in India if you are an NRI from the United States? I was thinking about Kasturba Medical College, Manipal. Overall I took tuff classes ect. but I wanted to know what the average accepted student's profile is.
Post edited by Mystic221 on

Replies to: NRI Difficulty

• astrixastrix Posts: 2,439Registered User Senior Member
    Well, there are quotas for NRI's, so it's not that hard AFAIK (comparatively)
  • Mystic221Mystic221 Posts: 212Registered User Junior Member
    Do you know how I could possibly research these quotas? I'm having trouble so help would be appreciated.
    anyone?????
    If anyone could help I would really appreciate it!
    ANyone?? I really want to find some info. If anyone knows anything abt NRI difficulty/ quotas for Indian Medical Colleges please answer
  • kiran88uskiran88us Posts: 217Registered User Junior Member
    you should try Kasturba medical college...its one of the best in India now...and they have NRI quota for about 50 students every year.
  • Faithful101Faithful101 Posts: 368Registered User Member
    its not that bad.. i have a friend that got in.. she had about 1300ish on her Sats.. a bunch of AP classes.. with the regular 3's, 4's and 5's.. i mean i dont think its too difficult... she lived in texas and the only other schools she applied to were UT and baylor and she got in to both.. kastruba medical school is a reallly GOOD school.. im sure most dedicated students wouldnt have a problem getting in..
  • unknownuser0unknownuser0 Posts: 154Registered User Junior Member
    Grades and SAT scores don't even really matter. Some places you just pay to get in. It's not really a bribe - but it is. It's all four years of tuition. And, according to both of my sisters, who graduated from SRMC in Madras and another school in Kolar, Kasturba is a party school with not a lot of emphasis on education. You might want to rethink your choice.
    what about manipal? Thats not the same as kolar, kastruba right? Ehh.. lol.. someone reply.. and why did your sisters choose to go to school in india?
    rather, my parents chose for them. 6/7 year programs weren't widely known five or six years ago so they thought it would be quicker for high school -> 4 years of medical school.

I think Manipal is good.
    ya, it is.. thats cool.. are tehy back here in America, or are they still in india? Did they like med school in india or ...?
    Yeah, my older sister is in OB GYN 3rd year, my other sister in Internal Medicine 1st year, and my brother in law got a cardiology fellowship

They liked medical school. Sometimes they regret being a foreign medical grad, but they feel like they're better trained than med students here.
    thats awesome, i heard that many students in india get more exposure to many of the problems and are more able to deal with many medical situations.. But was it hard for them to come back here and do their residency and such? Do you also plan on going to india to study?
    not really, it wasn't that hard because it wasn't as if it was a culture shock - they were from the U.S. since they were middle school and my brother in law was born here. They're happy now, and, no I do not intend to go to India for medical school. Hopefully I will be accepted into a 6 or 7 year BS/MD program.
  • canbratcanbrat Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I am in Canada I am planning to do mine MBBS degree... What is the cutoff marks like?What abt certication procedure After reading websites after website it says its so competitive to get a residency in US/Canada. In india they usally offer MBBS degree not Md . Does that matter?

How long does the process take to be accredited in Canada