Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

USNews Boots George Washington University from Rankings

rjkofnovirjkofnovi Posts: 8,773Registered User Senior Member

Replies to: USNews Boots George Washington University from Rankings

• Sparkeye7Sparkeye7 Posts: 2,408Registered User Senior Member
    Wow!! Thanks for sharing, rjk!!!

I wonder how this would impact GWU's ranking next year? I recall GWU tied with tOSU at #53 three years ago on USNWR, but it has since moved into the Top-50.

George Washington University | Best College | US News
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Posts: 8,773Registered User Senior Member
    LOL. I was just thinking of you Sparkeye. I knew you'd respond to this news. This could very well propel tOSU to the top 50 next year.
  • Roger_DooleyRoger_Dooley Posts: 106,154Founder Senior Member
    Not exactly like the NCAA "death penalty," but a blow to a school that was hoping to move up in, not out of, the rankings.
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 22,170Registered User Senior Member
    Hold your horses tight!

The impact on the USNews rankings will highly depend on the previous use of the data. People immediately assume that a change in the selectivity data results in a change in the ... ranked selectivity. With a lower number of students in the top ten percent, GWU will be reranked for THAT metric and then the overall number will be amended ... or not.

As in a previous similar cases, the fans of the schools that are immediately ranked below start to think that the updated numbers will have a major impact, and will be disappointed by the outcome. It simply does NOT work that way, or at least not with the expected tsunami.

Fwiw, "messing" with the selectivity index is a complete fool's errand, as its impact is much, much lower than expected, and is often mitigated by the expected graduation rate. In fact, a school might easily come out better by reporting LOWER scores.

The real astute cheaters know where to look for the biggest bang. A hint look at the Peer Assessment and reported financial and academic resources!
  • Roger_DooleyRoger_Dooley Posts: 106,154Founder Senior Member
    Yep, TV pundits were saying the actual ranking impact of the adjusted data would be minimal. But, being removed from the list is somewhat more dramatic.

Most important, I guess, is that GWU is still the same school today that it was yesterday!
  • Sparkeye7Sparkeye7 Posts: 2,408Registered User Senior Member
    Not exactly like the NCAA "death penalty," but a blow to a school that was hoping to move up in, not out of, the rankings.

+1
    Instead of 78 percent, only 58 percent had an elite spot in their high schools' top decile. Administrators had inflated those numbers for over a decade.

Similar to Emory's scandal, this "Top 10%" high schooler data manipulation has been going on for over a decade!!!! I wonder how this will impact GWU's "Undergraduate Academic Reputation Index" which is consisted of both the PA score & High School Counselor rating next year.

Also, I stand corrected! GWU is(was) currently tied for #51 (not Top-50) with BU & Tulane. Its "Undergraduate Academic Reputation Index" is(was) 75 compared to 77 of tOSU in this year's ranking.

GWU's mascot, our nation's founding father - Mr. Washington is rolling over in his grave as we speak! LOL
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,455Registered User Senior Member
    Why wasn't emory removed?
  • askjeevesaskjeeves Posts: 762Registered User Member
    I have not looked heavily into this, but I reiterate the above. Why weren't Emory or CMC removed for misreport?
  • ToniChicagoToniChicago Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    As a parent of a student there, I wonder if I can ask for a discount!
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Posts: 8,773Registered User Senior Member
    "The real astute cheaters know where to look for the biggest bang. A hint look at the Peer Assessment....!"

......because it's so easy to manipulate collective data of thousands of independent academics? Huh?
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 22,170Registered User Senior Member
    Rjk, not when it is done over a long period of time by punishing your foes and helping your "friends." Geographical and historical cronyism reigns supreme in that survey that is hardly filled by ... objective and independent academics.

Actually, if you'd think about it a bit, you will realize NONE of the respondents is independent. And describing their objectivity would be an insult to the adjective.
  • hauteStandardhauteStandard Posts: 76- Junior Member
    Wasn't Clemson University in a misreporting of data scandal as well? What was their outcome?
  • CatriaCatria Posts: 10,257Registered User Senior Member
    Hopefully the next admins of GWU will not be so focused on how their school appears to be on USNWR.
  • pierre0913pierre0913 Posts: 7,558Registered User Senior Member
    Clemson wasn't misreporting their data - the president just put his school at #1 in the peer assessment rankings (which I guess he can haha)