Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Ask your GRE questions here: How important? Are yours too low? When to take?

1121314151618»

Replies to: Ask your GRE questions here: How important? Are yours too low? When to take?

• AaeshahAaeshah Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Want to apply for Ph. D. CS program in any university in the USA

Master of Computer & Information Science, December 2016 GPA: 3.48/4 (Until Now)

Bachelor of Computer Science, June 2005 GPA: 3.55/4

EXPERIENCES:
    [Teaching Assistant], DEC 2009 – PROGRESSING
    • Taught Introduction to Computer, Data Structure and Algorithm, Computer Ethics, Computer Programming with C# (lab), Programming Language with C++ (lab), Operating System, and Theory of Computation (just assistance)
    • Explained concepts in small group setting; graded assignments and examinations
    • Held office hours for individual student discussion
    • Designed brochures and posters for computers and Information Technology College
    • Served as a member of Quality Committee
    • Worked as a minor Academic Adviser

[Teacher], OCT 2009 – DEC 2009
    • Taught courses in Basic Computer Skills and assessed student work
    • Coordinated morning high school student broadcasts
    • Provided remedial courses in Visual Basic

[Teacher], OCT 2008 – FEB 2009
    • Taught courses in Basic Computer Skills and assessed student work.
    • Presented a Photoshop workshop.

[Computer Instructor], JUN 2008 – AUG 2008
    • Taught Introduction to Computer Science, System Analysis and Design, speed typing, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access), Photoshop, Internet, Windows XP
    • Held a typing contest to encourage mastering of keyboarding skill

[Secretary], MAR 2007 – MAR 2008
    • Performed difficult, varied and confidential administrative duties including conference, meeting, travel planning
    • Prepared letters, report forms, brochures, and cards for administrators and staff
    • Organized events both internally and externally
    • Provided customer service and organizational skills

[Computer Instructor], OCT 2005 – JAN 2007
    • Taught Operating System Networks, Data Structure, System Analysis and Design, Programing with C++, Java, HTML, Microsoft Office (Word, FrontPage, Access), Photoshop, Principles of Management and Marketing, Teaching Methods.
    • Taught basic computer skills to elderly women residents.

ADDITIONAL EDUCATION:
    University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
    English Language Program, August 2013 – December 2014

My problem is GRE 140V, 151Q, 3AW .however, I don't need financial assistantship.
  • Alex1213Alex1213 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello everyone! This is such an awesome community! Lots of great stuff on grad applications.

Could anyone comment on the GRE score 'that would keep someone out' of programme in Data Science/Statistics?

My current GRE score is V165/Q158/AW 4.5 and I am worried that my GRE score would keep me out, what do you think guys?

Other than that, I have a 2+ years experience in consulting and analytics, and a BSc in Economics with a GPA of 3.7 (converted from a percentage grade).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Alex
  • BeaudreauBeaudreau Registered User Posts: 987 Member
    My son is currently a junior in Aerospace Engineering at Texas A&M. He plans to apply directly to several of the top Aerospace Engineering PhD programs, including Michigan, Purdue, Georgia Tech, and Princeton, focusing on space propulsion, particularly on plasma propulsion. His grades are good and he is focused on getting research experience between now and when applications start being due next December. He will also graduate with minors in History and German. He just visited with the propulsion programs and graduate advisors at Michigan and Purdue and he seems to have made a good impression. He will also visit Georgia Tech in March and Princeton later.

He took the GRE over Christmas break, basically with no preparation. His scores were V 168/Q 165/AW 6.0. Should he retake the test? The top AE graduate programs average 166-168 on Quantitative Reasoning.

It's just been four years since I started on this board when he was a junior in HS and now he's a college junior. Time really flies!
  • edgrad1981edgrad1981 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Hey, beaudreau. I think that whether he retakes the GRE depends on his GPA. How does his GPA compare to the averages of the school's he's applying to? PhD programs are incredibly competitive, so LOR's, GPA, statement of purpose, research, and overall fit are all incredibly important factors to take into account when applying to said schools, especially considering that he plans on applying straight out of undergrad. Your son's scores are strong, even if they're slightly below the averages you quoted for the Quant section at top AE graduate programs. If he has great LOR's, a really high GPA, plans to write a solid statement of purpose, and has made very strong contributions to his field through prominent research, I'd say the GRE scores can stay as they stand. However, if he doesn't have all of the aforementioned criteria lined up (and, I mean, really well lined up), a GRE retake might be the way to go. Considering that AE programs call for lots of research and the fact that your son doesn't have years of research experience in college, I would lean towards having him retake the GRE. This is just my opinion, though.
    Thanks very much.
  • nanotechnologynanotechnology Registered User Posts: 2,524 Senior Member
    I don't think there's any reason for him to retake the GRE with those scores. They are very good, and at that point everything else matters more than a 1-2 point change in GRE score. (It's sort of a threshold thing - once you're above a certain point, they don't care much and look at the rest of your application.) He would be better off investing time in his research, classes, and building relationships with professors for letters of recommendation. FWIW, I bombed the writing section of the GRE (3.5, 38th percentile) and ended up getting in everywhere I applied for bioengineering.
    edited January 24
  • BustinArownBustinArown Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello everyone. I'm thinking of applying to graduate school in industrial and systems engineering. I just took the GRE for the first time and got decent but not great scores 163 Verbal, 160 Quant. I estimate my GPA will be about a 3.7-3.8 when I apply (currently 3.8, but I think it'll drop a bit). I currently have no research experience, but if things go according to plan (as in, the professor that has expressed interest in hiring me as an RA actually hires me), I should have a semester of experience as an undergraduate RA by the time of my application. My letters of recommendation will probably be decent but not outstanding. I'm primarily interested in masters degree programs and would like to go to the highest ranked school I could get into. Given the rest of my profile, do you guys here think the lowish quant score will keep me from being considered by top schools? Should I retake the GRE and focus on bringing up that quant score?
  • hisllamahisllama Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    I think you should be fine. I wouldn't retake it if I was in your shoes. As long as you did well in your engineering/math classes, the 160 can be written off as a fluke. And your GPA is strong especially for a masters program.
  • minnjakminnjak Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I am currently an undergrad studying economics and minoring in statistics. I am thinking of applying for a phd program in economics in 1 or 2 years. I took the gre last summer and I got a 166 Quant, 159 vverbal, and 4.5 Writing. My current GPA is 3.87. However, I have not taken a lot of advanced math classes such as real analysis or stochastic processes which I heard are really important for admission to econ. I am graduating this year and will be doing a research assistantship in Northwestern University finance department for one year. I am thinking of applying to top 10/20 schools after I finish my research assistantship. Given my profile, do you think my profile is good enough for top 20 schools? Should I retake the gre and bring up the quant score?
  • jritchjritch Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    Hi, I am taking the GRE next Wednesday and I've been studying the last 5-6 weeks with Magoosh prep and I have taken two practice tests one with Magoosh Quant 152, Verbal 150 and one with ETS Q 148, V 145. I have less then a week left to prepare and I'm feeling defeated. I don't do good on standardized timed exams. I'm applying to top Urban Planning master programs for Fall 2018 and one of them requires a V 150, fortunately 2 of them does not require the GRE. If I don't do well, I can't retake it because I'm starting summer studio (I'm currently an undergrad architecture student) next Thursday for 5 weeks, and then the Fall semester starts in Mid-August. The summer studio is intense, and if I retake the GRE in the Fall it will probably ruin my GPA by taking my time away. Any advice on how to raise my quant or verbal 5-10 pts? I'm more concerned for the Verbal, I have been studying the Magoosh Vocab flash cards and watched all of the videos, but what else should I do? Thank you for any advice.
  • Badman13Badman13 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello. I want to apply for the PhD program in biochemistry at Cornell. I am pursuing MSc in Chemical and Molecular Biology with an overall CGPA of 4.0/4.0. I took GRE this summer and scored 157 in Verbal and 160 in Quantitative. I also have research experience of 2 yrs with one publication and another on the way. My LORs are pretty strong so is my SOP as testified by many. What are my chances of getting in?