Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Low gpa, graduate school?

blancblancblancblanc Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited December 2011 in Graduate School
Hi

I am applying to phD in engineering, but afraid my low ggpa is terribly bad,
UGPA was 3.65 but GGPA is 2.72 now, still remaining 2 semesters including this fall.

I am afraid admission office will filter my application out not looking at other factors.. Even my other activities are just normal. Interestingly, I got 3 admissions from pretty good colleges when applying for MS (one was phD w/o funding). But now, things are going worse and my current gpa may definitely adversely-effect on my application.
I am not hoping getting into Top private colleges, just not that huge state university but with safe funding. I e-mailed an admission office, and they say even if not filtered it is unusual for the one with gpa lower than 3.2 to get offered.

Should I consider... not to include my graduate record? Will that be..kind of cheating? I am also concerned my low writing background will matter, as an international, my GRE writing was 3.5 (V610/Q770) I am sssso depressed, need help!
Post edited by blancblanc on

Replies to: Low gpa, graduate school?

• menloparkmommenloparkmom Posts: 8,223Registered User Senior Member
    "Should I consider... not to include my graduate record? Will that be..kind of cheating? "
    Kind of ???? that would get you EXPELLED. You are REQUIRED to supply any and all transcripts for any college you have attended.
  • denizendenizen Posts: 380- Member
  • denizendenizen Posts: 380- Member
    I could be more in trouble..

Uh oh, what does that mean? What did you do?...
  • xraymancsxraymancs Posts: 2,093College Rep Senior Member
    It is unlikely that you will get funding for a Ph.D. in engineering with that record in a M.S. program. You might not even be able to graduate from the M.S. program with a GPA below 3.0? Whatever you do, make sure to include all transcripts, but start looking for a job too.
  • blancblancblancblanc Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Thank you for honest advice, and yes I cannot graduate with below 3.0, but hopefully, will get at least a little above 3.0 after this and next semester.. Maybe I should focus on coursework now instead of sop and see how new gpa coming up to decide apply or not.. ? What do you think?
  • straightadmitstraightadmit Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    @blancblanc, once classes are over, the grades are locked in for life. Not trying to sound scary, but you are in a position to influence the last two semesters right now. It seems a good place to make your priority. Bring up grades as best possible because later you can't do anything about them.
  • vitiatethisvitiatethis Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    Bring it up to 3! You can still do it. Study 4 weeks before midterm, read all papers a week prior to class, do all the homework/assignments the day it's given then ask prof about them to check if they're correctly done.
  • scaleupchemscaleupchem Posts: 105Registered User Junior Member
    I am sorry to tell you this, but there is something nobody is saying. How are you still in graduate school with a sub 3.00 gpa. At most every graduate school requires that you maintain a 3.00 to stay in good standing with the program. Also, many of my friends in graduate school say that in graduate school terms, a 3.0 is viewed as a C average at many colleges. They also tell me that getting a C in some classes, it is essentially like getting a D or an F in reality. I went through something like this my last semister in college. I had a 3.4 going into my senior year, and had a bad senior year and dropped my GPA down to a 3.2. The only way I bounced back was going to school an extra semister, and became more focued on the things I could control. As A result, I ended that semister with a 3.5 will all graduate courses on my schedule for the semister.
  • vitiatethisvitiatethis Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    I am sorry to tell you this, but there is something nobody is saying. How are you still in graduate school with a sub 3.00 gpa.

True but sometimes the registrar check if every end of term (yearly), therefore maybe he had barely 3 GPA on 1st year, then early 2nd year got all class final grade below 3 which bring it down to 2.7