Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best Sex and Gender programs?

NYU2013NYU2013 Posts: 1,749Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Graduate School
I know the US news rankings for graduate programs in sociology/sex and gender. However, their list is, obviously, quite short.

Does anyone know how the following schools would be considered for masters/PhD in sex and gender related subjects?

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
NYU
Northwestern
Chicago
Columbia
Yale
LSE
Cambridge

Thanks!
Post edited by NYU2013 on

Replies to: Best Sex and Gender programs?

• NYU2013NYU2013 Posts: 1,749Registered User Senior Member
    Also considering Edinburgh and UCL.
  • juilletjuillet Posts: 5,893Super Moderator Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that Berkeley has one of the top departments/programs in that field, and is known for gender and sexuality stuff.

I know here at Columbia we have a pretty strong gender/sexuality focus. But a lot of the graduate classes are feminist studies type stuff, and not true social science studies of women/gender.
    Yeah, I know that Berkeley is supposed to have the top program for sex/gender.

So you wouldn't recommend Columbia for sex/gender/sexuality studies for graduate studies?
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,690Super Moderator Senior Member
    The program at UCLA is pretty good. It's somewhat unusual in having a strong emphasis on LGBT studies. I know several people in the department and can go more in depth via PM if you want more info. Its gender/sexuality law offerings (possibly of interest to you?) are also somewhat unusual.

I'm surprised Michigan didn't make your list...it's definitely one of the best, if not *the* best for gender studies. (David Halperin! Catharine MacKinnon! So many great scholars.)

Lots of other good ones missing too -- Emory, Duke, OSU, UW, and Maryland are probably the most notable. If you're interested in gender only as a minor/secondary interest, you could add Cornell and Princeton.

Are you specifically interested in a MA/PhD program in gender studies, or would you be content with a PhD program in something else (e.g. literature or history) with a certificate or concentration in gender studies? Many of the schools on your list (Berkeley, Chicago, Yale, etc.) have great sex and gender offerings but have no MA/PhD programs in the subject.
    Yes, you guessed correctly; I have a large interest in LGBT law (My dissertation here at Durham will be focusing on ECHR law and sex/gender). I'll definitely PM you about UCLA.

I was primarily considering UK schools for masters in gender studies or US schools for PhDs in, most likely, sociology or politics (also considered philosophy).

I did like Yale's certificate program and some of their offerings related to law.

Emory and Duke didn't strike me as particularly strong in sex/gender, but correct me if I'm wrong. I forgot about Michigan (probably due to the weather; I suppose places that cold just drop out of my memory lol). Cornell and Princeton also crossed my mind; a professor of mine from NYU actually recommend Cornell to me for my particular interests.

If you had to rank schools in terms of strengths of their programs in sex/gender and law, how would you do so?
    Bump. Anyone else?