Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Mechanical Engineering to Biology

bmk9182bmk9182 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Graduate School
I'm posting to find out if anyone has any experience getting there undergraduate degree in an engineering degree (mechanical in my case) and going to graduate school in a biology field?

To be more specific, I am currently in my senior year for mechanical engineering. For about the last year, I have begun to worry that I would not fit in at a traditional engineering job. I have always been interested in research but am beginning to think I might be better suited to work in the life sciences. To be even more specific, I am looking a labs which specialize in comparative biomechanics (which often falls under biology but has a engineering/physics elements).

What are the implications of having a B.S. in ME and a M.S. (or PhD) in Biology? To me, it seems like this would just make broaden my work opportunities, which is something I am definitely looking for.
Post edited by bmk9182 on

Replies to: Mechanical Engineering to Biology

• dapi12345dapi12345 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    you have a great chance of getting into a biology phd program assuming your stats are ok! There are several people in my mol. cell bio class that are chemistry or engineering undergrads. good luck!