Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Asking a rec from a prof I don't know well

ab2013ab2013 Posts: 1,754Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Graduate School
Hi all,

I did really well in this class (in my major) and most of the advisors I've talked to have said that this would be a good prof to ask a rec from. However, the problem is that I know this prof at all ... I never participated in class, I never asked questions, I never went to office hours ... (because I was busy going to office hours for other classes)

Should I ask him for a rec? I don't know him very well. Should I just an e-mail if I do ask for a rec?
Post edited by ab2013 on

Replies to: Asking a rec from a prof I don't know well

• andrew1007andrew1007 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    Emailing for a letter of rec is perfectly fine, even if you don't know them. Not only will he/she most likely say yes, but you have nothing to lose from just asking. Keep in mind though, that since this professor doesn't know you, you WILL get a generic LOR that will only talk about your academics, and nothing of your character, motivation, passions, etc etc.

I personally asked a professor that I don't know at all either- I placed 4th out of ~55 students in an upper division chemistry course, so I asked. I'm considering that the weakest LOR out of the 3 I have.
  • ab2013ab2013 Posts: 1,754Registered User Senior Member
    Hmm ... interesting. How should I phrase this e-mail? I imagine it's going to be short and fairly awkward, even if it's courteous.

Actually, my advisors told me that I should ask the professor whose class I excelled in the most even though that would be a generic one. I did end up asking a professor who also was my program advisor for most of my undergrad, though I didn't do that well in his class (got a B+), but I was really involved in his class / office hours so I'm hoping that plays in my favor, and I think he knows me fairly well. The third one is going to be research-based for sure; I'm just debating between the one I did first-year (which was absolutely huge because my research sponsor ended up getting a huge grant from the feds and my work helped contribute to it) and the one I did/am still involved with, which is much smaller in impact/significance but much closer to my interests now.
  • dapi12345dapi12345 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    Lors from research are much better than generic - get lors from past and current PIs, then only one academic letter. I applied with only research letters and it worked out very well.
    Even for a Masters program?
  • andrew1007andrew1007 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    The more they know you, the better your LOR will sound (normally). Obviously, a PI is better than a professor you simply took classes with, because they can talk about more than just your academics- this gives a more complete image of you for you to be judged by.

But you sound like you don't have the opportunities dapi talks about- I'm on the same boat as you. Make do with what you can and try and make sure your statement of purpose is top notch.
    Actually, right now I think I will ask the prof I did research with first year and the one I'm with now (been with him since beginning of junior year), and my program advisor who also taught me in a class, though I didn't do too well in his class. It's been suggested to me that I can ask managers from previous internships (have had 2 by now), but it sounds like grad schools prefer LORs from people in academia. I'm just worried that the LOR from first year is a bit too old or outdated because I've learned alot more in my field and my interests have changed since then, which is why I sort of want to get a generic LOR in a class I excelled in, because that class is very recent (last semester) and I want to highlight the fact that my grades are trending upwards (rebounding from a relatively disastrous fourth semester at a 3.0 that semester to a 3.6 last semester).

How do I get feedback on my SOP? Is it a good idea to ask my undergrad advisors (who are also professors who teach and do research but are not on the grad admissions committee)?