Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Help needed for SOP?

uhelpneededuhelpneeded Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Graduate School
I'm a Electronics Engineering Graduate from the top engineering in my country. I have one publication in an IEEE Class A conference . However, my cgpa is 2.8. I'm currently working on my SOP for grad school. I need help with the part where i tell the Grad school that my CGPA is not the correct indicator of my potential. This is proven to a certain extent by the publication that i have. Anyone here that could guide me as to how to put the gpa part in my SOP?
Post edited by uhelpneeded on

Replies to: Help needed for SOP?

• ab2013ab2013 Posts: 1,756Registered User Senior Member
    You shouldn't need to put the GPA in your SOP. That can be found in your presonal info/data. If you wish to explain any extenuating circumstances that may have occurred in your undergrad years, you can explain it in your SOP.

(This is based on what I've been told)
  • uhelpneededuhelpneeded Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    That's what i'm asking.Exactly HOW to explain my low GPA it in my SOP.
  • Thomas_Thomas_ Posts: 629Registered User Member
    If your CGPA is "not a correct indicator of your potential", then why do you have a rather low GPA and why isn't it a good indicator? That's a question you need to ask yourself, and then you could just put the truth on your SOP ;)
  • ab2013ab2013 Posts: 1,756Registered User Senior Member
    I agree with what Thomas said. Everyone has a different story to tell. It could have been a personal crisis (e.g. family death) or perhaps your research publication took up too much time or you were too focused on your research in a particular semester and ended up doing poorly.
  • seraphzseraphz Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    nah should not mention that in SOP, write an additional essay to explain your circumstances!