Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Film/Cinema & Media Studies PhD at UCLA/Berkeley

libertine92libertine92 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
Hey,

right now I'm studying for a Bachelor in Theatre, Film and Media Studies at the University of Vienna, Austria and my final grade will probably be 1,5. When I finish I will have published 4-5 scientific articles in this field, language english and german. Right now I'm 20 years old and looking to apply around this time next year for starting a PhD program in Fall '14. Then I will still only be 22 years old.

First issue is that I have no idea if my grades are good enough. The scale says even 2s from Austria are considered as As in America (that can't be true, can it?). Will I have any chance of getting into UCLA or Berkeley (these are THE two institutions that would fit my field of interest perfectly)?

How will I apply while still not having a Bachelor's degree during application time? Do i just send them my grades up to that point and that's it? I mean, how do they know a student will really finish his undergraduate phase in the summer?

Am I too young for a PhD program? Is that a factor for them? I'm really worried about that, but general sense tells me if I show them I really really want to get into research and nothing else (which i do), there would be no problem, right?

That would be all for now, lol :) I know I'm thinking about it early, but now I still got time to make things better if my chances stand really low right now...

Thanks,
SW