Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Too late for my dream job?

thelastofusthelastofus Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited August 2013 in Graduate School
I just finished my freshman year. I finished up my summer classes and I have a total of 36 credit hours and my GPA sucks. 1.86 to be exact. I know that that's going to hurt me a lot. Is it too late for me to do anything? All my life I've wanted to be a pharmacist and I've just had a bad year. My high school GPA was a 3.2 with a 29 ACT score. I just want to know if graduate colleges when I apply to graduate school will even take a second glace at me or if I should just change my major all together.
Post edited by thelastofus on

Replies to: Too late for my dream job?

• aunt beaaunt bea Posts: 2,140Registered User Senior Member
    The pharmacy programs are really tough and you are already at a disadvantage. Is this something you can overcome? Your hs gpa and act scores are not competitive. It really depends on if you can keep up.
  • LiveMusicLiveMusic Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    You shouldnt give up on your dream goal. If you wanted it all your life, keep pushing and go for it. Its ok we might have a few academic problems here and there but if you want to be a pharmist.. still make that dream come true :) lol
  • juilletjuillet Posts: 5,831Super Moderator Senior Member
    You just finished freshman year. You have 3 more years to raise your GPA. So buckle down and figure out what it is that made you fail.

Do you work too many hours?
    Are you in too many other extracurricular activities?
    Did you not study enough?
    Are the classes you are taking just too tough?

If it's one of the first three, those are easily fixable - buckle down and study, learn to say now, fix it. You can come back from a low GPA - it may never be a 3.6, but you could probably pull off at least a 2.5 or maybe even a 3.0.

If the classes are too difficult and you don't understand, that may be a sign that the science is not really for you.

Assuming that they are fixable problems, though, there are other ways to come back from a low undergrad GPA. Maybe you work for a few years after college, in a chemistry lab or some other research lab, or as an EMT/paramedic/nursing assistant. Maybe you get certified to be a pharmacy technician and do that for a few years and apply to grad school. Maybe you can get a graduate degree - like an MPH or an MA in another field - to prove that you can do grad level work. There are a lot of ways that you can decrease the importance of your undergrad GPA; they all involve taking a few years between undergrad and pharmacy school, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, last note - your high school GPA and ACT scores do not matter anymore.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Posts: 2,140Registered User Senior Member
    Make sure you don't get on academic probation; if you are on financial aid, you are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress.
    Your grades have to be good this next quarter.
    I have several friends whose children are in pharmacy programs at the UC's who are having it really tough now. It's not an easy program.
    You need to attend tutoring before you take your tests. Start with it at the beginning of the year. The tutors know the coursework and have been chosen by the professors. They will let you know what you need to study and how to study for certain classes.
    BTW: The dean's list students, at my dd's university, go to tutoring from the beginning of the class till finals.