Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

2014 Bioscience Admission and Interviews

Replies to: 2014 Bioscience Admission and Interviews

• rizvisionrizvision Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, what's wrong with applying to more than 10 graduate schools? I don't get it.
  • ScaggsvilleScottScaggsvilleScott Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi rivision,
    In my daughter's situation she applied to 15 different schools. Eight of these schools have invited her to interviews and four more schools make decisions in January.

These interviews typically take up three days (including travel) and she still has to take classes at school and complete a major research project. So, eight of these interviews is not practical, and it is possible that 3-5 might more interview requests might be offered in a few weeks.

In her situation, she withdrew from two schools (Baylor and Case Western, although I have no idea why Case was one of them) that were low on her list and conflicted with other interview dates. She might withdraw from one other (Sloan Kettering) that has non-optimal living situations (2 people sharing a studio--she still needs to confirm this) so this will get her down, for now, to five interviews which might be manageable.

You have to to make the hard decision, at some point, to determine which schools you are most interested in. I think she would have been off making such decisions before submitting applications rather than spending the time and money submitting to schools that she might not be serious in.

Each person needs to approach their own way. Keep in mind that if you apply to 15 schools you might have to deal with the ramifications of 12 or more of them offering interviews.
  • d3runnerd3runner Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Rockefeller used to accept from applications several years ago, but I believe they changed their policies because I know people who interviewed within the last couple years. Also, I'm sure professors would be more than accommodating, missing for an interview is definitely a legitimate excuse.
  • phdprospectphdprospect Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Did anyone apply for the Harvard Biological Sciences in Public Health program (BPH)? If so, have you heard anything from the program in terms of interview invites?
  • proletariat2proletariat2 Registered User Posts: 3,519 Senior Member
    Interviews at WUSTL and Minnesota. Still waiting on the rest.
    Hi,
    I have been having mega trouble successfully enrolling on the GradCafe site. I have able to enroll, but most of the forums are not available to me. If I log out I can view all of the forums & threads,but cannot post. Can someone please let me know what I have been doing wrong? Thank you.
    Hi d3runner,
    Thank you for the update on Rockefeller. I was looking at posts that were 2 plus years ago. I am sorry to see that they require an interview as well. That program is extremely competitive, so chances of my daughter getting an interview there is probably remote. But, with all of the interview offers she has received in the last 2+ weeks, she will already be flying to interviews every weekend from mid-January to early March, as well as a mid week interview that coincides with her first week of school for the semester (and that is assuming that 3+ interview requests are turned-down and/or not viable because the schools cannot resolve scheduling conflicts.

I think I liked it much better in the old days when one did not have to interview for graduate programs, checking out schools via the Internet was not yet possible, and your first view of the school was when you showed up a few days before classes started to move in. The process was far less anxiety ridden.
  • gradapplicant5gradapplicant5 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Late to join the conversation, but...
    [Undergrad. University] Ivy League
    [Undergrad. Major(s)] Engineering Science: Biological Sciences
    [Undergrad GPA] 3.42
    [Years of Research Experience] 2 years in a plant immunology lab with honors thesis. 1 semester (3 months) in a human immunology lab abroad. Scientific review published in University magazine.
    [GRE Scores] 161V, 163Q, 4.0
    [Prospective Graduate Program] Immunology
    [Prospective Graduate Schools]
    Harvard
    Weill Cornell
    UPenn
    Yale
    Stanford
    MIT

Haven't heard about any interviews yet... but based on this thread it looks like only UPenn has sent out interviews for *some* programs. Regardless, I'm a little nervous now.
    Hi gradapplicant5,
    You might want to checkout the GradCafe site. Someone on this thread pointed me in that direction a week or two ago. They have a section where people report when they receive interview offers, and when they are officially accepted or rejected. Looking at the dates they in prior years might give you an idea of what dates they will be doing things this year (unless they changed the process since then).
    I have seen interview offers from some of the schools you listed: U Penn, Harvard, Yale, Cornell and possibly MIT. But, it is possible that they are from different program areas in the biological/biomedical science programs. Plus, it is possible that some of these schools might initiate additional interviews at a later day. That just happened with one of the schools my daughter applied to. We saw that applicants to the same program she applied to were offered interviews about 10-12 days ago. However, that school sent her an interview offer this afternoon. So, some of these schools review applications on a flow basis, as they come in, or over a couple of waves. If you are concerned, you can always contact the grad schools you applied to and ask about the status of your application as well as their review and decision process. I suggest calling instead of emailing. Good luck!
  • skruzchknsskruzchkns Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    @gradapplicant5

You're right about Penn.. Some programs have been sending out interviews but immunology hasn't sent any yet. I didn't apply to the other programs so I haven't paid attention to whether they've been sending invites or not.
  • SequoiaSequoia Registered User Posts: 1,651 Senior Member
    Also joining in on the waiting game. Posting for my D, who doesn't do CC.

[Undergrad. University] USC
    [Undergrad. Major(s)] Double major: Neuroscience, Psychology
    [Undergrad GPA] 3.86
    [Grad. Major(s)] MSc Clinical Neuroscience, at UCL London
    [Grad GPA] Distinction
    [Years of Research Experience] Undergrad....research since freshman year (2 projects and 1 honors thesis project). Grad, 1 year (dissertation). Present, working as a RA in a neuro lab since September when she finished her Masters.
    [GRE Scores] 159, 159 (I think), essay I don't know. She took the GRE cold with no prep, too busy with dissertation work. She hopes the scores are adequate.
    [Prospective Graduate Program] PhD Neuroscience

Columbia
    Brown (3 programs: Neuroscience, Neuro in partnership with NIH, and Cog Neuroscience)
    UCSD
    Stanford

Interview invitations received to:
    Brown/NIH
    Columbia
    Waiting for the other two (mid January)

Best of luck to all!
  • Alex5992Alex5992 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Interview invite from MIT Biological Engineering Phd program this morning. My first official word! Didn't expect to hear anything until the end of the month, so this is a good one!

Also received an email from a PI at UPENN Bioengineering PhD program who wants to discuss a fit in her lab. She says Skype and phone interviews for UPenn BioE will come out "very shortly".
  • cossec942cossec942 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, has anyone heard back from Neuroscience PhD program at Baylor College? I applied before the deadline (1 January), but after the earlier recommended date (December 1). I had a good communication with a PI before application. I am not sure if I should email him again; any suggestion?
    Hi,
    My daughter received an interview offer from them several weeks ago and eventually turned it down. She applied to way too many programs and received interview offers from almost all of the them--she is still waiting on Rockefeller University--and has been narrowing her list down to six or so interviews.

I would definitely contact the program. Since the school has multiple deadlines I am sure they are reviewing applications on a flow basis. With dozens of schools sending out invitations each day I think you should definitely follow up with them so that you don't get lost in the shuffle. You can tell them you are receiving some interview offers and want to make sure that you keep the interview date for Baylor available since that is your top choice.

Good luck.
  • marchino61marchino61 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    [Undergrad. University] University of Western Australia
    [Undergrad. Major(s)] Genetics
    [Undergrad GPA] 6.92/7 (Australian system)
    [Grad. Major(s)] N/A
    [Grad GPA] N/A
    [Years of Research Experience] - full-time equivalent - about 1 yr
    [GRE Scores] V 170/170, Q 170/170, A 5.0/6.0
    [Prospective Graduate Program] Developmental/ Evolutionary Genomics and Bioinformatics

- Duke, NC
    - University of North Carolina
    - Sanger Institute, Cambridge, UK
    - Gurdon Institute, Cambridge, UK
    - University of Western Australia
    - Oxford University
    - Liverpool University, UK

Results so far:

No reply by interview shortlist date, therefore probably rejected:
    - Sanger, Gurdon

Others - no decision, no interviews yet

I am not familiar with GRE scores required as they are rarely used outside the US. Sanger says they are "significant" in deciding who gets short listed, so should I be surprised at not making the cut, given my scores? Nothing I can do about it anyway.
This discussion has been closed.