Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

2014 Bioscience Admission and Interviews

12346»

Replies to: 2014 Bioscience Admission and Interviews

• bassish101bassish101 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    @ScaggsvilleScott: Rockefeller does indeed conduct interviews, however, last year they accepted the large majority of interviewees. Admissions is very competitive, but they do not reserve spots for international students. Rather, they accept students based on the merit of their application alone, without considering citizenship, as their large endowment (the largest per capita out of any school) allows the university to fund graduate students without government funding. The housing at Rockefeller is probably the best that I have seen (I interviewed at UChicago, Harvard, MIT, Yale, UCSF, CSHL, and RU). There are a range of options, from one bedroom apartments (without roommates, unless if you want to move someone into your apartment like a significant other) to three bedroom apartments (with two roommates). Rents range from $585-815, which for the UES of Manhattan, is absurdly cheap (and that price includes internet, utilities, and furniture!). PM me if you have any questions about Rockefeller (or any other school that I interviewed at), I'd be more than happy to help! :)
  • mumof2boyz2mumof2boyz2 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    My son has some BME PHD interviews coming up. Does anyone know the interview acceptance rates at MIT and JHU?
  • BAMAMom2BeBAMAMom2Be Registered User Posts: 334 Member
    After some intensive research this week, Rockefeller has just shot up to the top of the schools my D is considering. She'll be applying this fall.
  • Mazoona1402Mazoona1402 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Quick question everybody. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. So my undergraduate GPA is a 2.57. I have a degree in Psychology and Biology. I got my Psych degree Spring 2013 and my Biology degree just a week ago. In undergrad as a freshman I started off in Biology and did terribly due to immaturity and after Spring 2011 having to deal with what many families had to deal with that had family members living in Syria and Egypt. I was already on slippery slope with a 2.67, but when my GPA fell even further due to everything that was going on, I struggled to bring it up. I did significantly well when I switched to Psychology with 2 As, mostly B's and a couple C+'s in my Psychology classes. When I came to my second university, I began to significantly improve in my upper level biology courses. My last two semesters ended up with a much better performance in upper level biology grades. Keep in mind, my performance in the past was absolutely terrible with a few F's in those semesters when the civil wars broke out. However, from Fall 2010 and before, I can only blame myself.

Cell Biology- C+ (over the summer)
    Fall 2013 (2.96 GPA):
    Microbiology- B
    Vertebrate Physiology- B
    Pharmacology- C
    Virology- A-

Spring 2014 (3.0 GPA):
    Evolution- B
    Developmental Biology- B
    Neurobiology- C
    Medical Terminology- A

I took my GREs and came out with a 155 V and 156 Q with a 4 on the Writing. I've been doing research at the University with my professors and I'm also going to start doing research at St. Jude Children's and at a medical school nearby for the next year. Thus by next May, I'll have 2 years of research experience at major institutions along with being a tutor/teacher and volunteer at many youth programs. What's scaring me at this point are my 2 C's and that one C+, especially with my background. I'll be retaking my organic chemistry, basic biology, and physics since those can be replaced with a performance under my more mature self. Do I have a chance at entering biomedical sciences programs at all? I feel like this is not enough.
12346»
This discussion has been closed.