Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Top 100 World Universities 2013-14 (THE Rankings)

124»

Replies to: Top 100 World Universities 2013-14 (THE Rankings)

• sefagosefago Registered User Posts: 1,731 Senior Member
    The nobel prize encompasses only 5 disciplines. Its really not a good award to measure a school with. Its just like judging a school based on the number of field medalists
  • beyphybeyphy Registered User Posts: 2,237 Senior Member
    ^On that very same page, two of the links show UCLA had 10 Rhodes (2 in 2009 but only 4 since 1980) and 2 Marshall winners throughout its entire history. That's low for a big school.

Northwestern's only been associated with 8 Nobel prize winners. That's low for a good school ;) (they're going to that university across town I imagine?)
  • BuBBLES FoR SALEBuBBLES FoR SALE Registered User Posts: 2,164 Senior Member
    UCSB above UCSD and UCD?

Really...
  • confusedboyconfusedboy Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    ^^ Not just SD and Davis. It's also above Brown and Dartmouth. ;)
  • GeneralSteelGeneralSteel Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Schools like Brown and Dartmouth are disadvantaged in these citation heavy rankings.
  • makennacomptonmakennacompton Registered User Posts: 469 Member
    RE; Rhodes. It's a club. Historically, this club essentially recruits from the Ivies. The people on the Rhodes committees are dominated by the Ivies, especially by Harvard and Yale. So, it is a vicious circle: the Harvard/Yale - laden Rhodes selection committees in the various states choose Harvard/Yale candidates (or other Ivies, a bit less) and may throw in the random kid from a State U., but this is uncommon. The State U's have kids every bit as bright on the Rhodes level as any of the Ivies, but the State U kid really, really, really has to have a "story" (or be an outstanding minority athlete, with a story, as in the case of the Florida State kid a few years ago) to overcome the Ivy predjudice on these committees (knowing that Ivies can give full rides) that says, in effect, "if you were any good, you wouldn't be at State U, you would be at an Ivy." Rhodes is pretty much a closed circle of Ivy choosing Ivy and that's a simple, basic fact of life. So just shrug and get over it . . .
  • oceanpartieroceanpartier Registered User Posts: 779 Member
    Don't get me wrong...I go to UCLA and love it here....

...but I seriously doubt it is a better school than Columbia...or Cornell...or the University of Pennsylvania....and UCSB>UCSD? Seriously this list...
  • bluecrush96bluecrush96 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Hmm I find it strange that Wake Forest University isn't on this list if Penn State is.
  • NoddyboffinNoddyboffin Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    UCLA ranked ahead of U.of Michigan? UVA doesn't make your top 50 but UCSB,U.of Illinois and U.of Minnesota do?
  • ucsb82ucsb82 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    I say, either take it all - or nothing.

I'd rank UCSB higher - not my ranking.
  • frostedcupcakefrostedcupcake Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Are these the 2014-15 rankings?
124»
This discussion has been closed.