Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What if I cancel my acceptance to Cal State MSW Grad program?!?!

BackNSchool83BackNSchool83 Registered User Posts: 453 Member
Here is the scenario I'm trying to work out in my head...

I'm applying to like 5 CSUs for their MSW programs, all programs have an application period from October to late January. Notifications are often on a rolling basis, meaning you apply early you hear back early. You also have an advantage by applying early because there are more open spots and it sounds like it becomes more competitive the closer to the deadline admission notification goes. Some people hear back as early as February, many hear back in March.

All of the MSW grad programs have a time limit to accept, usually between one and two weeks after notification. So if I am to find out the good news that I was accepted to CSULA in mid February, I would have till basically the 1st of March to decide, but that means I would be missing out on other schools that notify later, like UCLA.

The UCLA MSW program is my top choice. UCLA does not send out acceptance notifications till mid to late March.

I'm worried I will hear back from a few great CSU grad programs with good news early because I plan to apply early to give myself that advantage, but then will have to give up on UCLA. UCLA might not even take me, but there is a good chance as I have a high GPA and some pretty good experience, it would be a dream come true to go there but you never know, they might not admit me.

What is the penalty for accepting admission to a CSU MSW program and then cancelling it after finding out you got into UCLA?

What are your thoughts about this problem?

Replies to: What if I cancel my acceptance to Cal State MSW Grad program?!?!

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 24,972 Senior Member
    You might lose any enrollment deposits. This is just like getting off a waitlist for undergrad programs.
  • WildLupineWildLupine Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    Talk to your letter writers (particularly if they often write letters for students applying to MSW programs) to see what they recommend.