Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

UK student to get into top-level graduate study?

flamingohairflamingohair Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
Hi there,

I'm a UK student at a University of London college looking to go to the US for my graduate studies. I want to do an MA in English or Comparative Literature (German and American/English) and aiming to eventually be doing a PhD in Literature for a career in academia. I'm looking at really top-draw places - Columbia, UCLA, Stanford, Pennsylvania, Cornell - and I know rejection is VERY likely, but want to know if I have any kind of chance (as well as what I can be doing to improve my application - tips welcome!)

I've been on a 2:1 for most of my degree (roughly 3.5GPA I think?) and have clawed myself to a 1st (4.0 ish I suppose) for my last several assignments. I'm hoping to come out with a 1st overall but it's by no means guaranteed. I've worked full-time throughout my degree so am an experienced librarian. I was the editor of the magazine for a short while and I'm pretty friendly with my professors. I played bridge for another college. I am at an intermediate level at a modern language due to working diligently at it last year and this. I have a research proposal that's connected to my undergraduate dissertation.

On the other hand, I only found out about the existence of the GRE last week, so I've never even seen one of the tests (although I did order the book and can practise). I'm not particularly wealthy so will need some kind of funding.

I'm doing all the usual things - contacting professors at my ideal schools and reading their work, working on a personal essay, trying to volunteer in my current department etc. I may take a gap year to improve my language/qualify as a chartered librarian/study some more.

Can you a) chance me, and b) give me tips?

Replies to: UK student to get into top-level graduate study?