Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Professional Science Master's in Environmental Science or Traditional M.S. Environmental Science?

scoot89scoot89 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hello All - I have a B.S. in Environmental Science and Management and I am currently employed as a environmental scientist at a engineering and architectural design firm. I have been with them for more than 2 years now and wish to pursue graduate school for purposes of professional development as to enhance my career, especially since my employer offers tuition reimbursement. I am already working in the private industry so should I pursue the Professional Science Masters (PSM)? I did a good amount of research and there is limited information about PSM programs with environmental science concentrations. Majority of forum discussions are from a while back and there seems to be mixed opinions about the credibility and value of the PSM. I understand this is a fairly new program, but wanted to see if any one can provide updated information or feedback on this topic. Thank you in advance for your time.

Replies to: Professional Science Master's in Environmental Science or Traditional M.S. Environmental Science?

• xraymancsxraymancs College Rep Posts: 4,194 Senior Member
    At Illinois Tech, we have been offering some PSM programs for over 20 years in the areas of Radiation Health Physics and Analytical Chemistry. These degrees are well regarded in the industry for those who wish to sit for CHP certification and move into management, respectively. My suggestion is to look at the curricula and the mode of delivery (our programs are part-time mostly online) and then speak to your management to see which program will be most beneficial to your career in the company. I think that a strong PSM with a good reputation can be as useful as an MS.