Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What are my chances/How competitive are English MA programs?

anxietymananxietyman Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey, y'all,

I graduated from a BA program in 2014, then decided in 2016 that I wanted to eventually get a Ph.D. in English. I've decided to get an MA first because I want to make absolutely sure that I'm prepared for a Ph.D. and that I have a competitive application. I'm just now entering my second semester of post-baccalaureate classes.

I have no idea how competitive my application will be, or what stratum of school I should be applying to. My two biggest liabilities, I think, is that my undergrad GPA was a 3.7 (which seems low for English) and I don't yet have any publications (I'll be submitting to some conferences this fall, but I likely won't know if I'm accepted until after MA applications are due).

On the plus side, my GRE scores are good--V 168, Q 160, Analytical 6--and my post-baccalaureate GPA is a 4.0. I'm also trying my best to ingratiate myself with professors this semester, and should continue to perform well academically. I have a clear focus and area of study and am taking classes that are relevant to that area of study.

I'm applying to my undergraduate school (ranked around #60 for English graduate programs), three other schools with similar rankings (in the 50s and 60s), and a dream school that's ranked in the low 30s.

In your view, what are my chances? Should I apply to more, less-selective schools?

Thank you all.

Replies to: What are my chances/How competitive are English MA programs?

• juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 11,498 Super Moderator
    A 3.7 isn't low for English and most recent graduates don't have any publications before applying to PhD programs, much less MA programs.

With a 3.7, a 4.0 postbaccalaureate GPA, and high GRE scores - and assuming a good writing sample - I'd say that you'd be a good candidate for English MA programs. Apply to a wide range, including some more selective ones where you might get funding. Don't sell yourself short.