Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Applying to a biology program at grad school

Stella06Stella06 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
Hi - I'm currently a freshman but will be a sophomore this upcoming fall. I'm planning on applying to several graduate schools, not as pre-med (so far most of the threads I've seen have regarded pre-med) but I've been struggling in a few of my classes so far. To be more specific, I took too many difficult classes the second quarter of my freshman year and ended up with a C in Honors Chemistry and subsequently another C in an introductory chemistry class spring quarter. I got a C in introductory biology winter quarter as well, but I'm retaking the class right now and so far am set up to get an A in the class.

I'm just wondering, for graduate programs such as the University of Washington, Caltech, or Cornell (which I understand is more far-fetched), just how bad would it be if I had two Cs on my transcript freshman year but was capable of maintaining a higher GPA the following three years along with research and leadership in several clubs. And how frowned up would it be if I made up for a C by retaking the class later and obtaining a higher grade? So far I have a 3.1 gpa but I'm trying to make it go up more.

Thanks!

Replies to: Applying to a biology program at grad school

• MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,484 Senior Member
    edited August 12
    The big thing with this field is research, if you're serious you need to get a couple publications under your belt before senior year. A couple of Cs early on is not a dealbreaker if your grades show an upward trend and the rest of your application is solid.