Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Can I get into a good/Ivy League graduate program being an average student at a public university?

rilynbluerilynblue Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I'm a sophomore at a public university who wants to maybe become an English Professor. Ive been researching about becoming a professor and it seems like the only way to absolutely make sure that I will get hired and get tenure, if I want to become an English Professor, is if I get into a good graduate program, maybe an Ivy League one. I still have three years of college yet but I'm not sure if its still possible for me to get into an Ivy League program. I have a 3.66 GPA and only one extracurricular that I quit last semester. I'm going to try to do more extracurriculars and get straight A's this year but I don't know if that will be enough to get me into a good graduate program.

Replies to: Can I get into a good/Ivy League graduate program being an average student at a public university?

• rilynbluerilynblue Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Besides school I also work part time which is kind of why my GPA is so low. I started working my first semester in college and I focused more on work than school :/
  • AuraObscuraAuraObscura Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    The Ivy League is a sports conference. It has no bearing on the quality of a graduate program.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    You need to work to pull up your GPA. Students from pretty good public universities go on to graduate schools at Ivy League or equivalent all the time. In my experience (which is limited to one particular "equivalent") they generally had a very good GPA for undergraduate.
  • BeaudreauBeaudreau Registered User Posts: 987 Member
    That's a great GPA for an engineering major. I don't know the range for competitive English majors.
  • MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,455 Senior Member
    I don't know a whole lot about English, but I believe the GPAs are usually very high. You should be perfect or very near perfect on the GRE verbal and writing portions. Publications would be probably a great idea as well.