Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Bio Undergrad Interested in Masters in Biomedical Engineering

c4ndylandc4ndyland Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
As the title entails, I recently graduated with a bachelors in biology and am interested in pursuing a masters in biomedical engineering. However, I don't have any of the engineering prerequisites required for the masters program, which I am concerned about I won't be eligible for some school's masters program. I was wondering if I should take all the prerequisites at a local college as a post-bacc before applying to the Masters program, or if I should apply to the program and ask if I can take an additional year to catch up on the work. Also, even though I want to pursue BME, I am having doubts if getting a masters is a good idea at all. I've been reading in different threads that BME is too general and won't land you a job with just a bachelor's, but I am not sure if getting a masters in it will help much since I have a bachelors in biology. Any comments or suggestions will be helpful please.

Replies to: Bio Undergrad Interested in Masters in Biomedical Engineering

• MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    Why not apply for the programs you are eligible for and see what happens.
  • sattutsattut Registered User Posts: 623 Member
    It isn't easy to get a masters in engineering without a bachelors in engineering. You probably need at least 40 additional credits, including some additional introductory math and physics classes.
  • AuraObscuraAuraObscura Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    Depends on how strong your background is, but it's definitely doable. I got a BS in molecular/cell biology, and later went on to get an MS in mechanical engineering with a minimum of prerequisites. Most people I know who followed a similar path had at least several prerequisites under their belt before applying for engineering programs--ie, at least multivariable calculus and differential equations, statics/dynamics, fluids, thermodynamics, and basic circuits. You don't necessarily need to take everything, but the more well-versed you are, the better your chances.

BME is inherently multidisciplinary, and BME graduate programs tend to be more open to individuals from a variety of backgrounds. However, this does depend on the particular program in question, so do your research. Most likely, you will need to have some or all of these courses completed before you apply, though some graduate programs may be OK with you taking them after you matriculate.

An MS in BME is enough to land you jobs in the field, unlike a BS in BME, but it is still a narrow and somewhat restrictive degree compared to an MS in mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering. What exactly do you want to do?