Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Neuroscience 2018

neuronerd128neuronerd128 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Hi guys!

I am re-applying to some grad schools with neuroscience PhD programs this year. I applied last year and got into Brown, UNC CH, and UVa. I accepted my offer at UVa, but deferred admission for a year because I got a Fulbright grant to do graduate research. I am now debating whether or not to apply to some of my "reach" schools since I have this extra year maybe making me a little more interesting to admissions?

I went to a relatively unknown public university, GPA = 4.0, 4 years of research experience, working on two papers (both first author), three very strong LOR from my undergrad (perk of going to a small school are researching in two labs for 3 years each), above average GRE scores, Fulbright student (in Northern Europe).

Do you think that it would be worth it to apply to University of Chicago, Harvard, and Columbia? I know these programs are very competitive, and I am not sure that this extra year (the name of Fulbright and the lab I am working in) would help too much. Any thoughts would be appreciated!