Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

GRE scores for international relations

DanielJDanielJ Posts: 277Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2006 in Graduate School
I just took the GRE and got a 600 on verbal and a 700 on math. This is rather surprising to me as I expected to get quite a bit lower on math and somewhat higher on the verbal section (I took several sort of diagnostic tests that predict your results). My question is, if I am applying to international relations type MA programs at the following schools - Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, George Washington, American, etc.... how good/bad of a score is this? I am just considering whether I should bother taking it again.
Post edited by DanielJ on

Replies to: GRE scores for international relations

• enviromanenviroman Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
    I wouldn't retake. They'll average the scores anyway, so any gains would have to be substantial to overcome the averaging. I scored exactly the same (700/600/6.0) and I'm not too worried about applying to top schools.
  • UCLAriUCLAri Posts: 14,728Super Moderator Senior Member
    Daniel,

I think you're fine. Your verbal is easily in the 75th to 25th percentile range of most top programs, and your verbal is just about in that range as well.

What area are you interested in studying?

enviroman,

It's not the raw score that matters, per se, it's the percentile. A 600 on verbal is a much better score than a 700 on quantitative.
    I know. But a 700 Q seems to fall in line with most top IR programs, as well, even though it's only about ~70th%. A 600 V is about 83rd-85th% (mine was an 84) and that generally fell within the 25-75th% of most IR programs.
  • DanielJDanielJ Posts: 277Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the comments. I am interested in pursuing a foreign service-oriented IR masters program. I am currently a Politics major at NYU. 4 years ago, I took the SAT and received a 770 verbal score (99th percentile). So, I was expecting a higher score this time around on the GRE. I suppose that I am bit anxious as to my prospects being that I will be just out of undergrad with no work experience (although I do speak two languages and have three years overseas experience before college). As regards the GRE, I suppose I also have to realize that the "competition" is, in general, much better qualified than it was coming out of highschool.
  • UCLAriUCLAri Posts: 14,728Super Moderator Senior Member
    enviroman,

Ah...good. Just wanted to clarify.

Daniel,

You're fine. I would still recommend you get some work experience anyway, though...
    Yeah, GRE verbal =/= SAT verbal. I scored a 710 on the SAT verbal and a 700 on the SAT math. My math stayed the same while my verbal dropped 110 points. This seems to be pretty normal.