Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

GRE v.s. SAT difficulty?

Ashraf EassaAshraf Eassa Posts: 1,432Registered User Senior Member
edited June 2007 in Graduate School
So, which test is harder, the GRE or SAT? I'm guessing the verbal is extremely difficult on the GRE but what about the math? Is it easier since it doesn't have algebra 2 or what?
Post edited by Ashraf Eassa on

Replies to: GRE v.s. SAT difficulty?

• mudgemudge Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    I don't think the verbal was harder

I think the math was easier

I got 690 math, 660 verbal on the SATs (in 1998, I dunno what scoring changes have happened) and I got 800Q 650V on the GRE
  • larationalistlarationalist Posts: 916Registered User Member
    Verbal was harder, math was easier. SAT score was 670V, 660Q; GRE score was 590V, 750Q. No studying either time beyond a glance at question types, so that's a reflection of natural aptitudes and the way the scoring balance shifted, not of how much I studied.
  • live-live- Posts: 810Registered User Member
    Wow really? I hadn't looked at any of the grad school admissions tests at all but I didn't think that the GRE would have easier math than the SAT.

If the GRE is actually easier than (or even just comparable to) the SAT, what's the point in even having another standardized test for grad school admissions? To make sure people didn't drink themselves stupid in college or to give people who didn't do so well on the SAT another chance?
  • 14_of_spades14_of_spades Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    i think the GRE verbal is more "study-able".

about one-fourth of GRE verbal is direct antonym questions. u can just memorize word lists.

the SAT doesn't have antonyms, and hence its "reading" questions make up a greater percentage of the total questions. as such, i think ur SAT score is a better reflection of ur functional english (reading) ability. that's not something u can "cram".
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,254Super Moderator Senior Member
    If the GRE is actually easier than (or even just comparable to) the SAT, what's the point in even having another standardized test for grad school admissions? To make sure people didn't drink themselves stupid in college or to give people who didn't do so well on the SAT another chance?
    To make ETS more money?
    The SAT measures knowledge more (at least in terms of the math), while the GRE measures logic/thought more. The GRE math questions are mostly made up of what your seventh grade math teacher would have called "word problems."

As far as the relevance goes, you'll notice that the GRE is taken a lot less seriously by adcoms than the SAT was.
  • mudgemudge Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    To make ETS more money?

Bingo!

Now I see why they let you into grad school
  • huskem55huskem55 Posts: 4,284User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    Just looking at percentiles on the GRE, the verbal definitely trips more people up:

I scored a 750V which was the 99th percentile, but my 750M was only good enough for 88th percentile- In fact even if you get the 800, it will only put you somewhere in the 96th percentile because many people are able to achieve that score.
    yeah, I remember noticing that my 590V, 750Q were good for the same percentile score, in the 88 percentile range! a 6 in writing is also only good for about 96 percentile as well. It's wierd, but also a remarkably accurate depiction of my abilities.
  • plot93plot93 Posts: 138Registered User Junior Member
    It seems like a long time since I took the SAT's. I'm currently working on a master's degree, but I didn't go to grad school immediately after undergrad, so maybe that's why the SAT's seems so long ago.
    What I do know is that my combined score was surprisingly similar on both tests, but on the GRE, my verbal score was a bit higher than on my SAT's, and my math score was a bit lower (probably because I hadn't done much math since high school).
  • Ashraf EassaAshraf Eassa Posts: 1,432Registered User Senior Member
    For the GRE math percentiles, though, aren't they just worse because the average grad-school bound senior is a lot smarter than the average college-bound senior (not everyone goes to grad school...)?
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,254Super Moderator Senior Member
    Yes, the pool's stronger, but in addition, the math topics are less advanced than the SAT.
    The math topics are less advanced? On a graduate school exam?!
  • WilliamCWilliamC Posts: 785Registered User Member
    Indeed they are. In fact, the "new" test that ETS cancelled was said to have eliminated most of the trig so it was due to get even easier.

CC is a bit biased toward engineering and finance, with a few physical science types thrown in - in the "real world" of grad school many (maybe even most) specialities do not require much, if any math.

ETS provides subject tests to filter those who are not adequately tested by the general. (And to make more money!)
    But surely the questions are still harder even if the material isn't as advanced, ne?