Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Average GRE for top Graduate Engineering schools

cornell_freakcornell_freak Posts: 24. New Member
edited July 2009 in Graduate School
Could anyone please post the average GRE score for top graduate engineering schools like MIT,Caltech, Cornell, etc.

Thanks!
Post edited by cornell_freak on

Replies to: Average GRE for top Graduate Engineering schools

• uefastationuefastation Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    From USNEWS data in 2006:

School: V/Q
    MIT: 574/779
    Stanford: 573/781
    Berkeley: 553/771
    Gatech: 538/763
    Illinois: 538/772
    Carnegie Mellon: 567/775
    Caltech: 600/790
    Michigan: 533/772
    Cornell: 576/785
  • SlantNGoSlantNGo Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    From what I've heard, at the top schools score above 750Q and 500V, and they won't care, i.e. you'll gain very little from scoring higher. Score below 750Q or 500V, and you'll raise red flags.
  • kim.brackkim.brack Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Scores do matter a lot and if you are an international high score is a key to admission. If you want to target a good school, try building your profile like good GPA, projects in undergrad, great reco etc. A good GRE score is always icing on cake. But, getting the average score will not guarantee you admission.
    You can estimate your chances online also at www.missiongre.com
  • sarbruissarbruis Posts: 290Registered User Junior Member
    Hmm, I wonder if kim is saying GRE scores matter a lot because she has a website to support?

GREs don't matter a lot, unless you do poorly. Engineering schools aren't going to care about the verbal section and if you're going to an engineering school, you shouldn't have a problem scoring very highly on the quantitative section.