Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Highest PhD Stipend?

maco0708maco0708 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
edited August 2012 in Graduate School
Which school and in which program offers the highest stipend for PhD students?
Post edited by maco0708 on

Replies to: Highest PhD Stipend?

• momof3sonsmomof3sons Posts: 4,936Registered User Senior Member
    For which discipline? I believe that the natural sciences offer higher stipends than the social sciences or the humanities.
  • maco0708maco0708 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    Any discipline.
  • Blah2009Blah2009 Posts: 1,312Registered User Senior Member
    Stanford Graduate Fellowships: The Program

Thats a full 30-32k stipend fellowship with no RA or TA. Probably the best offer anywhere.
  • churchmusicmomchurchmusicmom Posts: 4,000Registered User Senior Member
    But also probably one of the higher cost of living areas, right?
  • Blah2009Blah2009 Posts: 1,312Registered User Senior Member
    Not too bad as theres on campus housing.
  • maco0708maco0708 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    Is the Stanford fellowship an extremely competitive award that only few students get?
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,602Registered User Senior Member
    Their campus housing rates are pretty high, though: 2008-09 Residence Chart

Best I got when I was doing grad schools was Cornell's offer of $30k with health insurance included and no RA/TA. That's also living in Ithaca, where cost of living is considerably lower than Palo Alto.
  • masta_acemasta_ace Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
    A bit out-dated but here is a list for science stipends:

http://www.wendychao.com/science/stipends/

The stipend for Weill Cornell last year is $30,754. I'm not sure if it's the same this year. Gerstner Sloan-Kettering and Rockefeller also has high stipends , obviously due to location.
  • snowcapksnowcapk Posts: 338Registered User Member
    Many schools give monetary awards to students who win outside scholarships. For example, Rockefeller pays an extra $5000 (total of $35,000/yr.) to students who win competitive outside fellowships like the NSF or NDSEG. Many schools offer signing bonuses or "recruitment fellowships" like Stanford's as well.
  • MightyGandhiMightyGandhi Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    My fellowship at USC is $30,000/yr, it last 4 years, and the first two years are no TA/RA.

I believe most schools base the amount on the cost of living. Also, I would venture to guess that private schools will generally give more.

What is the relevance of this question?
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,602Registered User Senior Member
    I dunno, UCSB and Caltech offered me the same amount of money, which was more than CMU pays their grad students, though all of it was less than Cornell.

I was told Cornell's is so high to make up for the fact that you're living in Ithaca by various grad students when I visited there.
  • astrinaastrina Posts: 3,029Registered User Senior Member
    For the ‘08/’09 year, Weill Cornell, Rockefeller and Sloan Kettering will be furnishing students with a $31,700 stipend. Columbia, on the other hand, gets a "measly" $29,328.

This is for biolgy / biomedical sciences.
  • PhD-Bound?PhD-Bound? Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
    I have a feeling that private schools in general offers better support than public schools.
  • CWalkerCWalker Posts: 313Registered User Junior Member
    ^^^^

Your feeling is wrong.
  • snowcapksnowcapk Posts: 338Registered User Member
    Your feeling is wrong.
    Really? Berkeley (the only public school I applied to) was my lowest offer: solidly eight thousand dollars per year under the top two. I'm a citizen so I have no direct experience with it, but I heard that private schools admit more international students and pay them better than public schools. Is there data on this?